Real or Hanau?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TammyG

Real or Hanau?

Post by TammyG »

These are spoons that were sent in 1967 to my maternal grandfather in the US when my great-grand mother in England died .They have literally been in a box for the past 40 years.
http://cid-6d843b14b7e3a951.spaces.live.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are marks on the front & back of the bowl; on the front
930 in rectangle, crowned O, horse head with 2 bars underneath & lion with key stamped over, the back has BHJ, the lion, Q, F, & the leopard.
At 4.5cm & 1.5cm from the top handles there is a 3cm circle with a minerva with the letter m,w or b?
There is a smaller circle (2cm) at 9cm & 8cm from the top which has a Script "D".
The longer spoon measures 195cm & 65g; the shorter is 170cm & 67g.
My great-grand father, Ernest William Smith, was an Engish war correspondent/journalist who's correspondance is archived at UT-Austin.
Thank you for any input.
Tammy
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi Tammy,

Could you post some close ups of the marks?
TammyG

Post by TammyG »

Hello Doos,
I zoomed & cropped the best to my ability. My Mother-in-law is in NYC with my camera or I would have retaken the letter d on the small spoon and the marks on the back of the larger spoon. The pics have a golden hue which I think is from my desk. I have never polished them and they are a shiny silver, 40 years in newspaper sure didn't hurt them!
Have a wonderful weekend,
Tammy

http://cid-6d843b14b7e3a951.spaces.live.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I enhanced your pictures some.
First picture looks like London import marks for 1891.

Pat.
TammyG

Post by TammyG »

Greetings from the Land of Palm Tree,
I agree. Thanks for the input. Pics are nice.
Tam
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

The crowned O's are Dutch pseudomarks, so seems to be consistent with the import period.
TammyG

Post by TammyG »

Thanks Doos,
I have another spoon which I suspect is Dutch and a silver box which has many(pseudo?) marks. I will submit them as soon as I get my camera back. I hope that is acceptable considering the previous outcome. I have a few pieces of British silver, an Italian piece and some sort of Czarist Medal(which I believe has something to do with Ernest's relationship to Tolstoy). My understanding is that I should submit them to the appropriate forums.
Tam
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi Tammy,

Post every item in a separate thread.
TammyG

Post by TammyG »

Hello,
I have found two new marks on the front of both spoons. The smaller spoon's are more clear. Both marks are very small & seem to have been cast seperately; maybe an applique or mounts? On the top of the smaller spoon there are two angels or cherubs holding an urn (depicting the ascension?), in the middle of the urn is the soldier's profile with a roman numeral IV in the helmet. On the middle of the stem is the script letter D or maybe a script "gD". On the back of the bowl of the smaller spoon is a scene depicting a baby being held up and three people with various items.Maybe a reference to L’Adorazione dei Magi. The larger of the spoon has the soldier profile with IV in helmut on the bottom of the of another similar but different depiction of L’Adorazione dei Magi; the letter D or gD is also on the middle of the stem. ImageImageImageImage
Thanks,
Tammy
dinio
contributor

Post by dinio »

Hi Tammy,

What is in the helmet of the Minerva's head is a letter identifying the assay office. Thus it is not IV but M instead which indicates the Schoonhoven assay office.
The date letter is a gothic letter O indicating year 1898 : see http://www.925-1000.com/Fnetherlands_Date_Code.html. So the import mark date letter could be a 'c' upside down, indicating also year 1898.

Hope this helps.
Dinio
Doos
co-admin

Post by Doos »

Hi,

It looks like Schoonhoven to me as well. The Dateletter is the G from 1891 (it is shown upside down) .. resembles the O of 1898.
TammyG

Post by TammyG »

Hello,
I have new photos when turned 180 degrees clearly shows the letter G; also I have clearer pictures of the importer; maybe Barnet Henry Joseph?
ImageImageImage
Thank you for your information, I truely appreciate your replies.
Tammy
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Yes it's B.H.Joseph & Co.

They were known importers of silver from the Netherlands including the work of J.v Straten & Co. of Hoorn and A de Pleyt of Schoonhoven.

Trev.
TammyG

Post by TammyG »

Thank you for the reply, so are you suggesting that they may be the work of J. v Straten & Co of Hoorn or A de Pleyt of Schoonhoven? I have searched the Dutch site and haven't been able to find anything regarding marks for them. Thanks again for your response.
Tam
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Tam,

No, it was just to confirm the Joseph's mark and to note that they were known importers of Dutch made articles including those of Schoonhoven origin.

Regards Trev.

Return to “Dutch Silver”