Vienna, Austria 800 Silverware Marks Question

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
silverly

Vienna, Austria 800 Silverware Marks Question

Post by silverly »

I have six spoons and six forks all in the same pattern. I’ve always been most amazed by their weight which is 1243g. My question is about the two marks that accompany the Austria silver mark. Any help will be very much appreciated.
oel
co-admin

Re: Vienna, Austria 800 Silverware Marks Question

Post by oel »

Hi, to me the Diana's head is not convincing. Spurious marks?
https://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html

Peter.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The knight's helm is a trade mark of Josef Carl Klinkosch, who I believe were the Court silversmiths, which may account for the other mark :

I think variations of the knight's helm mark are to be found.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

oel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:49 pm Hi, to me the Diana's head is not convincing. Spurious marks?
https://www.925-1000.com/Faustria_02.html

Peter.
Thank you for your comment. I thought the marks looked bad just because I hadn't cleaned them enough, so I had a better look at all of them and cleaned them as well as I could. The Diana's head mark on the spoons is the worst. It's like there was no Diana's head in the cartouche on the die which is very discouraging. The marks do look better on the forks. Here is an image of the marks on the two best of the fork's marks:
silverly

Post by silverly »

dognose wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:03 pm
The knight's helm is a trade mark of Josef Carl Klinkosch, who I believe were the Court silversmiths, which may account for the other mark :

I think variations of the knight's helm mark are to be found.

Trev.
Thank you Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Are the forks "true dinner forks" which measure 8-1/4 inches in length? ::::: The overall weight is very surprisingly heavy. :::::
::::: Are the spoons serving spoons? :::::: Really amazing weight on these pieces, although I do have some English true dinner forks that are extremely heavy at around 100 grams each, maybe these Austrian forks are even heavier? :::::

::::: I've never seen nor heard of heavier Austrian forks/spoons ::::::
silverly

Post by silverly »

Aguest wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:50 pm ::::: Are the forks "true dinner forks" which measure 8-1/4 inches in length? ::::: The overall weight is very surprisingly heavy. :::::
::::: Are the spoons serving spoons? :::::: Really amazing weight on these pieces, although I do have some English true dinner forks that are extremely heavy at around 100 grams each, maybe these Austrian forks are even heavier? :::::

::::: I've never seen nor heard of heavier Austrian forks/spoons ::::::
The forks are 8 1/2" long and the spoons are slightly longer. I don't know if the spoons are for specifically for serving.

I've had these pieces for fifteen or twenty years I think and their size and weight has always amazed me.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Here’s the entire group:
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Nice and clean, indeed clearly the Diana's head for Austria, Vienna . 👍

Peter.
silverly

Post by silverly »

At this point I take the third mark to be the Austrian double headed eagle.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The eagle:
k. k. Hoflieferant Joseph Carl von Klinkosch
Royal and Imperial Court supplier.
Regards
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Imperial Warrant to the Court of Emperor Franz Josef of Austria(seen on silver tea pot).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Joseph_I_of_Austria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_ ... ppointment

Peter.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Thank you Peter. I'm sure it's important, but if you will please enlighten me more on the significance of a Royal Warrant.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

An Imperial and Royal Warrant of Appointment during the Austro-Hungarian Empire was issued to vendors who supplied goods or services to the Austrian imperial court in Vienna and/or the Hungarian royal court in Budapest. The warrant was normally an official document, which enabled the supplier to advertise the fact and thus lend itself prestige.

Suppliers continued to charge for their goods and services. The application process took years and was given only to those deemed of the highest quality to be worth to receive the honour upon personal approval of the monarch. The warrant was typically advertised on company letter-heads and products by displaying the coat of arms or the heraldic badge of the imperial eagle. Underneath the coat of arms would usually appear the phrase "k.u.k. Hoflieferant", which translates into English as "Purveyor to the Imperial and Royal Court". Depending on where the supplier was located within the dual monarchy, it could be adapted into the local language such as "Ces. i Król. dostawca Dworu" in Polish, "C. a k. dvorní dodavatel" in Czech, or "Fornitore di corte imperiale e reale" in Italian.

The warrant was initially given to the owners of a company or a tradesperson, not the company itself. Only later were entire companies given the warrant.

The warrant was given as a supplier for the overall court. However personal suppliers to the emperor or the empress were given a higher warrant as "k.u.k. Kammerlieferant", which translates as "Purveyor to the Imperial and Royal Chamber". It was possible for a supplier to receive both warrant forms for exceptional quality of services and goods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_ ... t#See_also

Josef Carl Klinkosch
Josef Carl Klinkosch (1822-1888) was a highly skilled Viennese silversmith, who flourished in 19th Century Europe. Apprenticed to his father Carl 1835-1839, certified 1844, the family business produced fine silverware and jewellery. Their success was at the very pinnacle of Austrian society, the business was made Court silversmith from 1837 and given a Royal Warrant from Franz Josef of Austria in 1855.
Josef assumed control of the family business in 1851 whereupon he and Stephen Mayerhofer formed the partnership Mayerhofen & Klinkosch. The company’s success quickly expanded the business to several hundred employees and a reputation for fine craftsmanship. Klinkosch ended the partnership in 1869/70 and renamed the company J.C Klinkosch.
Josef Carl Klinkosch’s clients included members of the bourgeoisie and high society and from 1855 he held the Imperial Warrant to the Court of Emperor Franz Josef of Austria. Josef was knighted in 1879 and his pieces still form part of the Austrian Royal collection and are used for Austrian state banquets even today.
silverly

Post by silverly »

silverly wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:45 am Thank you Peter. I'm sure it's important, but if you will please enlighten me more on the significance of a Royal Warrant.
On second thought, I think I've probably read enough on the subject already. Thank you anyway.
silverly

Post by silverly »

AG2012 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 am k. k. Hoflieferant
Thank you AG2012. How does k. k. Hoflieferant fit in the picture?
silverly

Post by silverly »

silverly wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:27 am
AG2012 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 am k. k. Hoflieferant
Thank you AG2012. How does k. k. Hoflieferant fit in the picture?
Again on second thought, I think I have the explanation for this term. Thank you.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Thank you all for this great information that converged here so quickly. For so long I’ve just been in awe of the tremendous size and weight of these pieces alone.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”