French 1838 maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

French 1838 maker

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all,
who can recognize this maker for me? I "meet" him a lot during my cataloging and I can not give him a story. I read a DA or DM with a a compass in the center or a scale?

Thanks a lot community!

blakstone
contributor

Re: French 1838 maker

Post by blakstone »

This appears to be a post-1973 Minerva mark with a decade letter in the lower right, under the chin; deciphering this letter would narrow the date to a ten-year range. Unfortunately, there is no reference I know of for maker’s marks this recent.
cgonzalez100

Post by cgonzalez100 »

Hi, I had this same mark on a miniature chocolate pot. I also posted here back in 2017 (https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... ng#p150839).
I discovered that the mark is that of the family of silversmiths MORAND (Orfèvre de Morand, initials "DM" et un sapin ).

In my case, ours was hallmarked with the modern Minerva mark in use from 1972. The letter D on the lower right side just below the chin of the goddess Minerva means that is was made between the dates 2002 to 2012. The silversmith mark is for the Andre Morand silver company.

The Morand company is a family of silversmiths beginning in 1907 when the grandfather set up shop at Charles de Gaulle in Neuilly sur Seine. Andre Morand SAS located at 67 Rue d'Aguesseau, 92100 Boulogne-Billancourt, France. You could probably still get in contact with them, however I don't know if they closed shop permanently since the pandemic affected many businesses. But the last I heard was the company still had many pieces among their inventory for sale and took on special orders.

In 2017, I reached out to Pierre Morand through Facebook to see if the chocolate pot was part of his catalogue and this is what he wrote back:
"Yes, it is indeed one of our productions. Unfortunately, we have stopped production, I currently still have 1 piece of this model. I'm glad you like this little chocolatier. My grandfather settled in 1907 av Charles de Gaulle in Neuilly sur Seine (it's 5 minutes by car from the Arc de Triomphe. My father took over the business in 1944 with his brother and sister, he developed models that I continued and I also gradually brought my ideas. Today, unfortunately, we have stopped manufacturing."
Hope this helps!
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

cgonzalez100 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:38 pm Hi, I had this same mark on a miniature chocolate pot. I also posted here back in 2017 (https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... ng#p150839).
I discovered that the mark is that of the family of silversmiths MORAND (Orfèvre de Morand, initials "DM" et un sapin ).

In my case, ours was hallmarked with the modern Minerva mark in use from 1972. The letter D on the lower right side just below the chin of the goddess Minerva means that is was made between the dates 2002 to 2012. The silversmith mark is for the Andre Morand silver company.

The Morand company is a family of silversmiths beginning in 1907 when the grandfather set up shop at Charles de Gaulle in Neuilly sur Seine. Andre Morand SAS located at 67 Rue d'Aguesseau, 92100 Boulogne-Billancourt, France. You could probably still get in contact with them, however I don't know if they closed shop permanently since the pandemic affected many businesses. But the last I heard was the company still had many pieces among their inventory for sale and took on special orders.

In 2017, I reached out to Pierre Morand through Facebook to see if the chocolate pot was part of his catalogue and this is what he wrote back:
"Yes, it is indeed one of our productions. Unfortunately, we have stopped production, I currently still have 1 piece of this model. I'm glad you like this little chocolatier. My grandfather settled in 1907 av Charles de Gaulle in Neuilly sur Seine (it's 5 minutes by car from the Arc de Triomphe. My father took over the business in 1944 with his brother and sister, he developed models that I continued and I also gradually brought my ideas. Today, unfortunately, we have stopped manufacturing."
Hope this helps!
Dear cgonzalez100 wow it certainly helps, you gave me all the info and more, great! i hadn't seen your post because in the search bar i was typing the initials of the silversmith, DA or DM and these unfortunately are not mentioned in your old post. thank you very much!

Giulia

Return to “French Silver”