Please help with date and town , maker ,anything ..

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
srebrnik

Please help with date and town , maker ,anything ..

Post by srebrnik »

Please help with the date ;-) Thank You!!

http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/pel ... edf06.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://images31.fotosik.pl/34/dea093babf42551a.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

They appear to be American pseudo-marks.

Regards Trev.
Tongtwister
contributor

Post by Tongtwister »

Hi,

John R McGrew has published an excellent book called "Manufacturers' Marks on American Coin Silver". He refers to this mark in his book as a manufacturers mark with the following comment: "Attributed to the Cunningham or Cooper periods of this sequence of manufacturers. Gilbrt-Cunningham/Cooper complex". He mentions the A.K Cory mark but with a string of ?????'s
Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: Please help with date and town , maker ,anything ..

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, I think this is an image that could be useful here. This is from a spoon marked "A.K Cory" and carries the "bust", "lion" and "C" pseudo British hallmarks (or American).

The on line tome of USA "Silversmiths and Related Craftsmen" suggest this is Aaron Kitchell Cory of Paterson, Essex, NJ who was a Jeweller and watchmaker 1845-1850. Later he is listed as a watchmaker New Brunswick NJ, (1850 census) and the same at Newark NJ, (1880 census).
The previous responder to this post gave a reference to the "Gilbert-Cunningham/Cooper complex" as being associated with the pseudo hallmark set and I think implying that "A.K Cory" was likely acting as a retailer for the spoon.
There is information in another post mentioning the "Gilbert-Cunningham/Cooper complex" using a similar 4 cartouche pseudo hallmark set and suppling silver items to a large number of Eastern seaboard retailers. See below.

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42#p211242

Is there a bit more information about "Gilbert-Cunningham/Cooper complex"?

Fishless
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Have very little time right now, but concerning the 'Gilbert-Cunningham/Cooper Complex', Philo B. Gilbert partnered with Daniel Cunningham in 1838 as 'Gilbert & Cunningham' at 8 Cortlandt St, NYC, in 1839 they moved to 106 Reade St., in 1841 they changed the firm name to 'Cunningham, Gilbert & Co.' and moved to 102 Reade St., in 1842 they split and Gilbert partnered with his brother-in-law James C. Everett as 'Gilbert & Everett' at 102 Reade St., and Francis W. Cooper was also at 102 Reade St. in the 1840s, probably with Gilbert.

Here is the page 58 referenced from McGrew's 'Manufacturers' Marks on American Coin Silver' (2004):

A.K. Cory is only mentioned once in McGrew's 'Manufacturers' Marks on American Coin Silver' (2004), with two question marks, indicating that at time of publication, he didn't know the location and working dates.

Pages 10-11:

~Cheryl
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Thank you Cheryl for disseminating more information on the possible retailer/maker relationships associated with some of those pseudo hallmarked spoons that regularly come to light.

Fishless
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello again, so soon. I remembered a set of spoons I bought some six years ago carrying the name "P. Mason". I remember it was very difficult to search for the ubiquitous name "Mason" on line, and it left the set as "unknown, probable Canadian silver spoons" as they had come with some other Canadian spoons. In the last year or so I have found the resource “Silversmiths & Related Craftsmen” list. I checked my old photos to begin research again but I had forgotten the pseudo hallmarks and I think these spoons may be from the "Gilbert-Cunningham/Cooper complex"?

If that was the case "P. Mason" could be a retailer and the resource I mentioned, does offer a possible candidate. Speculation, but about the correct time and area.

Pethuel Mason (1809-1872),
listed as a watch and clockmaker in the 1850 census taken at Bridgewater NJ.

Any other opinions?

Fishless

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”