Absolutely stumped on these marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Riddick

Absolutely stumped on these marks

Post by Riddick »

Hi all , first time posting here as usually i can identify marks but not this time. Maker mark unknown to me & cartouche frame with sideways 9 have me bamboozled. Any help appreciated , thank you.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... vBVBvN7ZGN
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... cr0qlGTPj0
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... GYFQw6-t9e
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... Uer0vEC0Lv
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM ... 2TlpCvnsP0
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Absolutely stumped on these marks

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Your image links do not seem to be working and we always advise posters to embed pictures as not everybody is comfortable with following links. https://postimages.org is recommended for photo hosting (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Phil
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Hi Phil , i tried loading through the image file button but that wouldnt work & i see no attachment button so couldnt try that way & that was all i could think of at the time.
Cheers
eRROL
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It is 9 karat gold, i.e. 37.5% gold in the alloy; therefore number 9 and then 375 in the mark.
More likely American than British.
Regards
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Hi , yes aware its 9ct gold , but the significance of the sideways 9 & cartouche shape which is picket shaped end , the 4 chain links are also stamped the same way.
Ive been told the maker mark in conjoined circles with SS initials is possibly a Solomon Schonberg , London 1907 ?
Cheers
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

There was Solomon Schonberg, a goldsmith, in London at the time.
But without full set of marks it`s difficult to tell. Every link is marked to ensure the duty was paid on full length of the chain.
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Hi again , i appreciate the advice. I have been checking the American & Great Britain databases for the last 2 days & the only conjoined circles with SS is the one we have mentioned , im also trying to find that sideways 9.375 in "picket fence" cartouche but have yet to see it anywhere. The only one i have seen both together is on the item i have , in fact the SS in conjoined circles i have only seen on the Silversmith database.
I would love to get more info on Solomon Schonberg as well , he seems very elusive to find on the internet & within forums i have checked to date. Trying museums next.
Thanks for help to date , Cheers
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

As AG2012 noted, this is not British and there is no maker's mark shown.

What you have is an imported item with a sponsor's mark, that may well be that of Schonberg, and a gold import mark stuck by a British assay office after 1904.

Trev.
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Thanks for the confirmation Trev , what else is known about Schonberg as a goldsmith or sponsor ?
Cheers
Errol
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Schonberg appears to have been in business from 1899 to 1923:

In the Matter of the Companies' Acts, 1908 to 1917, and in the Matter of S. SCHONBERG & COMPANY Limited.
At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Members of the above named Company, duly convened, and held at the registered office of the Company, 30B, Great Sutton-street, Clerkenwell, London, E.C. 1, on the 11th Day of December, 1923, at 10 o'clock in the forenoon, the following Extraordinary Resolutions were duly passed, viz: —

That it has been proved to the satisfaction of this Meeting that the Company cannot by reason of its liabilities continue its business, and that
it is advisable to wind up the same, and accordingly that the Company be wound up voluntarily; and That Eric Lofting, Certified Accountant, 6-7,
Creed-lane, London, E.G. 4, be and is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purposes of such winding-up—Dated the 11th day of December, 1923.

S. SCHONBERG, Chairman of the Meeting.

Source: The London Gazette - 18th December 1923

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

In the Matter of the Companies Acts, 1908-1917, and in the matter of S. SCHONBERG and COMPANY Limited. (In Voluntary Liquidation.)

Notice is hereby given, pursuant to section 188 of the Companies (Consolidation) Act, 1908, that a Meeting of the creditors of the above named Company will be held at the registered offices of the Company, situate at 30B, Great Sutton-street, Clerkenwell, E.C. 1, on Tuesday, the 1st day of January, 1924, at eleven o'clock in the forenoon. Notice is also hereby given, that the creditors of the above named Company are required, on or before the 22nd day of January, 1924, to send in their names and addresses, and particulars of their debts or claims, and the names and addresses of their Solicitors (if any), to Eric Lofting, of 6-7, Creed-lane, London, E.G. 4, the Liquidator of the Company; and, if so required, by notice, in writing, from the Liquidator, are, by their Solicitors, or personally, to come in and prove their debts and claims at such time and place as shall be specified in such notice, or in default thereof they will be excluded from the benefit of any distribution made before such debts are proved.—Dated this 15th day of December, 1923.

ERIC LOFTING, Liquidator

Source: The London Gazette - 18th December 1923

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

S. SCHONBERG & COMPANY Limited. (In Voluntary Liquidation.)

Notice is hereby given, in pursuance of section 195 of the Companies (Consolidation) Act, 1908, that a! General Meeting of the Members of the above named Company will be held at 6-7, Creed-lane, Ludgate-hill, E.C. 4, on Monday, the first day of February, 1926, at 11.30 o'clock in the forenoon, for the purpose of having an account laid before them showing the manner in which the winding-up has been conducted and the property of the Company disposed of, and of hearing any explanation that may be given by the Liquidator; and also of determining by an Extraordinary Resolution the manner in which the books, accounts and documents of the Company, and of the Liquidator thereof, shall be disposed of.— Dated this 30th day of December, 1925.
ERIC LOFTING, Liquidator

Source: The London Gazette - 1st January 1926

Trev.
Riddick

Post by Riddick »

Thanks Trev , all very interesting information. Cheers

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”