Perth Pepper Pot Maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Perth Pepper Pot Maker

Post by dartsil »

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone can determine the maker here from this partial mark on the base of a pepper pot

It carries the double headed eagle mark of Perth, the makers stamp appears to be 2 cojoined circles, depending on what way up you view it the letter you can see the most of may be first and may be second letter. Possibly M or H but may indeed be something else.

Maybe a long shot this one as not all the mark is visable.

Regards,
Colin

Traintime
contributor

Re: Perth Pepper Pot Maker

Post by Traintime »

If upside down, IH or IM, John or James? Doesn’t quite seem to be a T like Thomas. M+N might be an oddball way of doing McN(ame), but who would do that ever?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Trev indicated the McNab partnership used a simple McN-in-shield. (Presumably while not duty dodging?) So is it possible they had another mark of conjoined-circles-MN when avoiding all that doody. Firm begins in 1820. Both reported as silversmiths.
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Thanks,

Could you post a link to this partnership?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

A 2018 catalog displayed on ISSUU site holds an authentic provincial McNab mark of McN-in-rectangle. The order of punches on a ladle was maker/Eagle/maker/Eagle/S.[ Don’t believe we can direct link here to that site per rules.]
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Perhaps my focus on Continental silver is deceiving me here, but I don’t think this is Scottish at all. I think it’s German, specifically from the Schleswig-Holstein Baltic coastal city of Luebeck.

First, the crowned double eagle in a circle is identical to the mark used under stewardship of guild master Hans Heinrich Havemann (1776 – 1856) from 1813 to 1827 on small silver articles.

Second, the maker’s mark, while rubbed and worn as noted, clearly seems to me to be three letters in a trefoil (two above one), not two letters in conjoined circles. This trefoil style is is entirely consistent with Luebeck maker’s marks. I cannot find a good match in the marks illustrated in the reference cited (which are admittedly crude line drawings). The closest match is Hans Hinrich Duehrkop (1755-1823; master 1781-1812) – HH/D in a trefoil - but he retired in 1812, one year before the assay mark was used. (Maybe: this was when Luebeck was under Napoleonic control, and doubtless the guild operations and silver assay werechaotic.)

Admittedly Scottish Provincial is not my forte, but the style of both the piece and the marks look to my eye far more like Luebeck than Perth.

Ref: Bjorn R. & Marina Kommer, Luebecker Silber 1781-1871 (Luebeck: Schmidt & Romhild, 1978), p. 46, mark Havemann II b and p. 55, maker/mark 17.
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I have also been contacted regarding this piece by a regular customer who informs me of the following:

Moscow c.1790

double headed eagle in a round punch as No. 1165 in Jan Divis (the s has an accent and the name is, I believe, Czech), published by Hamlyn in 1974, Silver Marks of the World

Regards,
Colin
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Oh, dear. Don't let the Russian forum get wind of that - they will tear it to ribbons. It is definitely not Russian.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Bumping kind a late, but I saved a couple of those authentic Perth marks so we can see how blakstone was on the mark with doubts about the origins. Anyone got new thoughts on this piece?

Return to “German Silver”