Silver hallmarks to ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
F. VIANA

Silver hallmarks to ID

Post by F. VIANA »

Hello Gentlemen,
These two guys look (to me) like miniature soldiers frm the Peninsular War period. I bought them locally as being made of silver, as it all indicates.
The problem are the marks.They don't seem to be Portuguese, neither they show in the Portuguese contrasts book.
Has anyone here have an idea where these marks are from ?
Thank you in advance
Fernando .

-
oel
co-admin

Re: Silver hallmarks to ID

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum. To me it appears your images are not showing. Please use the preview button before you supmit. For information how to attach and embedded images see ;
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42199
Peter.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The missing images

Are you sure the French (Napoleonic) soldiers are made out of silver and not made out of tin? To me it appears to be tin soldiers.

Peter.
F. VIANA

Post by F. VIANA »

Well, i bought them and paid them as silver. Will have to confront the guy who sold them to me.
Thank you for the hint.
Fernando
F. VIANA

Post by F. VIANA »

Once again i thank Peter for his assistance.
Meanwhile, with insisting with a digital camera, a powerful magnifying lens (X20) and finally cross checking with a search in the Internet, i can tell the little soldiers are made of Portuguese silver, with a 935/000 touch. The symbol is the so called "Eagle, looking rightways". The picture i (Peter) first posted here was in the inverted position.
Just for general interest, i will ask Peter to upload here a page with Portuguese hallmarks, where this one included.
Fernando
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Chart for modern Portuguese: https://www.925-1000.com/Fportugal.html
Right facing would likely be .835 (835/1000) fineness here.
Clipped corners for Porto Assay office.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Fernando,
Good job, I rotated your original image and indeed right looking the Portuguese eagle for silver 835/1000
See:
https://www.925-1000.com/Fportugal.html

Peter.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The implied maker’s mark would seem to be “M-under-an object” (or “M-surrounded by-an object”). [One thread points out that the letter may be a first name rather than a last name..we’d have to confirm this practice…for later makers at least.] The question, besides whom, would seem to be is this consistent with late or modern Portuguese maker mark practices?
F. VIANA

Post by F. VIANA »

Traintime wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:41 am The implied maker’s mark would seem to be “M-under-an object” (or “M-surrounded by-an object”). [One thread points out that the letter may be a first name rather than a last name..we’d have to confirm this practice…for later makers at least.] The question, besides whom, would seem to be is this consistent with late or modern Portuguese maker mark practices?
However assuming that the image originally posted was upside down, the maker's mark would be a 'W' and not an 'M',as both symbols contrast and maker with be in the same position. My book on contrasts and makers marks was published in 1958; i can check marks since the 15th century to until 1950, but the objects under discussion were visibly made on a later date; the original Eagle hallmarks only contemplated touches from 833 up to 916; no 835,which was part of my riddle. Apparently for the same reason i don't find in the book any makers mark, be it 'M' or 'W', with such design.
F. VIANA

Post by F. VIANA »

Traintime wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:00 am Chart for modern Portuguese: https://www.925-1000.com/Fportugal.html
Right facing would likely be .835 (835/1000) fineness here.
Clipped corners for Porto Assay office.
Not pretending to complicate things, but the Portuguese authorities have since then issued newer regulations. Looks like the 835/1000 Eagle fineness is now ... a rabit.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Rabit head introduced Januari 2021. The right looking eagle head for silver 835/000 first introduced in 1985 and used till the introduction of the rabit head.

Peter.
F. VIANA

Post by F. VIANA »

oel wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:33 am Rabit head introduced Jan 2021. The right looking eagle head for silver 835/000 first introduced in 1985 and used till the introduction of the rabit head.

Peter.
I realize my little soldiers were made between 2006 and 2021.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

In my opinion your little soldiers with the 835/000 hallmark, the to the right looking eagle head, could me made somewere between 1985-before 2021. If you can find the maker and his or hers registration/active working dates we can be more precise when the little soldiers were made.
For Portuguese hallmarks see;
https://contrastaria.pt/en/legal-hallmarks-in-portugal/

Peter

Return to “Other Countries”