Russian cigarette case - maker please?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Russian cigarette case - maker please?

Post by SilverK »

I have this Russian cigarette case assayed in Odessa (now in Ukraine of course), made I guess around the 1920s. Would someone be kind enough to identify the maker Ю.T for me, and if possible tell me his approximate working dates? Apart from the number 207 on each leaf of the case, the only marks are those shown (again on each leaf).

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Silverk.

Mart
contributor

Re: Russian cigarette case - maker please?

Post by Mart »

This type of brand is for the period 1927-1954.
"ЮТ" is supposedly the organization "Jewelry Trading" (ЮвелирТорг).
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Thank you Mart for your lightening quick reply and for your trouble in identifying the maker. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much silver for 'ЮвелирТорг' during those dates visible on my internet searches!

Many thanks,

Silverk.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

The stamp "ЮТ" is also found until 1927 (84th sample of silver) on items from different cities. This is the period of time when various jewelry partnerships (Ювелирное Товарищество) were formed. МЮТ... ЛЮТ... СЮТ... I have not studied this period carefully. Maybe someone can advise better than me. Good luck!
SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi Mart,

This sounds like a quite complicated subject area! At the risk of asking you too many questions, I'd like to try to clarify a couple of things you said:

1) Previously you said: 'This type of brand is for the period 1927-1954' and then in your last message you said 'The stamp "ЮТ" is also found until 1927'. Did you simply mean that the stamp ЮТ is found FROM 1927, or that it was used BEFORE 1927 and then used again during the period 1927-1954? If the former, then this case could have been pre-1927, rather than 1927 onwards.
2) You refer to '84th sample of silver'. Does this relate to the standard mark of 84?

Thanks again!

Silverk
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

The stamp with a hallmark of silver "84" was used in Russia from May 1798 (it could have been earlier, but of a different type) until 1927. Further, the sample became in the metric system "875". This means that your piece was made after 1927.
The hallmarks "ЮТ" are on items with "84" and "875" samples of silver. They were in different cities. Perhaps the organization "ЮТ" (Jewellery Trade "ЮвелирТорг" or Jewelery Association "Ювелирное Товарищество") was all over the country for a short time.
For example, here is "ЮТ" in Leningrad.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The company in Leningrad was founded in August 1936, when SOYUZYUVELIRTORG was created, uniting a number interregional offices and departments for the wholesale and retail trade in jewelry. I think that was the earliest ЮВЕЛИРТОРГ, followed by compasnies of the same name in other towns.
As explained above, ЮВЕЛИРТОРГ existed in many Soviet regions, as late as mid 20th century (see the page of their book in another town dated 1957).
The quality and Art Nouveau decor of your cigarette case, in my humble opinion, indicates very early production, i.e. twenties of 20th century. The quality deteriorated significantly when compared with Imperial silver, although a comment is needed in regard of new Soviet state after the revolution. They did their best to promote new society in every aspect, including art and freedom of artistic expression.
Attached the image of suprematist plate designed by Kazimir Malevich by ex Imperial Porcelain Factory from early twenties (Leningrad porcelain factory). Also, new Soviet government issued silver coins of the same fineness as imperial coinage i.e. 900 (image of one ruble 1921 - 1922).
Unfortunately, they sunk into sterile social realism in art and dictatorship in government, ending in religious backwardness.

This is how you calculate fineness based on the fact that 96 zolotnik is 100 % (pure silver).

96 = 1000
84 = X
84 000 /96
X= 875

Regards

SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Thank you both for all the extra detail. It is much clearer now and I would agree that the style would put it in the late 1920s.

Best regards,

silverk.

Return to “Russian Silver”