MOTE SPOON

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
populous38

MOTE SPOON

Post by populous38 »

Hi Guys
I came across this today and I had no idea what it was until I investigated.
There is no hallmark or date letter, but a clear makers mark - which appears to me to be TM.
I wondered if anyone recognised the maker, to give me an idea of when, what I think is a mote spoon, was made.
Appreciated as always.
Gary
Aguest
contributor

Re: MOTE SPOON

Post by Aguest »

::::: There has been a similar mote spoon described featuring a "rat-tail" where the bowl meets the shaft, and also the piercing is "bilaterally symmetrical" on both sides of that rat tail, meaning the piercings on one side of the rat-tail are a mirror image of the piercings on the other side. :::::

::::: The makers mark is described as "TM over mullet" but I don't see a mullet below your makers mark, I only see a "TM" :::::

::::::: I don't believe that maker has been identified, but perhaps someone else will chime in with more information. :::::

:::::: The other mote spoon was dated as "circa 1725" so if your mote spoon has a rat-tail (it seems to have a rat-tail) then you would could also date it to somewhere around 1725-1735 approximately. ::::::
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Grimwade (London Goldsmiths, 1697-1837: Their Marks and Lives) gives us 2 possibilities (but only if this is London silver): Thomas Makepeace I, smallworker, registered c1720; Thomas Moulden, smallworker, registered 8 Feb 1722.

Phil
populous38

Post by populous38 »

Thanks Guys, thats amazing.
Really appreciated. I burnt the candle late last night. Could I ask what do you think about Thos. Mann - old standard mark, registered 1 july 1720.
Again, as you have said, only if a London Maker.
I really appreciate all your help, it's just great when you share your experience - I learn so much.
Thanks again.
Gary
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Yes, Thomas Mann is another possibility.
populous38

Post by populous38 »

Thanks - Silvermakersmarks - appreciated as always.
Gary

Return to “London Hallmarks”