Silver Oklad by who?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Caligula007

Silver Oklad by who?

Post by Caligula007 »

Hello forum community,

I received a silver Oklad icon yesterday. Unfortunately, the nimbus is not complete. The hallmarks were probably there where it was missing. The only hallmark I found was on the edge of the oklad. A Cyrillic F and an M. I assume it's the master. Can you help me? When is this about. Where did he work and for how long.

Thank you!

Mart
contributor

Re: Silver Oklad by who?

Post by Mart »

Hello! There are several silversmiths with the initials "ФМ" who worked in Russia at different times. I have never seen this type of "ФМ" mark. This product raises some questions. Are you sure it's silver?
Caligula007

Post by Caligula007 »

Hello,

the associated icon is genuine and dates from the mid-19th century. The associated and matching oklad is silver tested. I am familiar with silver, but unfortunately not with Russian masters and hallmarks.

Greetings
Marcel
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::::: Do some silver objects from Cyprus bear Cyrillic-letter hallmarks? ::::: I believe some of them do, and also there is a silver icon tradition within the Greek Orthodox Church traditions of Cyprus which might bear Cyrillic letter hallmarks. :::::
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Caligula007 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:30 am the associated icon is genuine and dates from the mid-19th century. The associated and matching oklad is silver tested. I am familiar with silver, but unfortunately not with Russian masters and hallmarks.
Agree, the riza, even if silver, is not unique.
On the enamel insert (on the left) you can read the inscription with errors: "Yugskaya Mother of God". You can read about the Yugskaya icon of the Mother of God here: https://azbyka.ru/days/ikona-odigitrija-jugskaja
Makers mark "Ф.М." done very well. Reminds me of Petersburg in the 1830s and 1840s.
Maybe some Fedor Mironov? But I don't insist on it.
Question: why is there a mark of the master, but they didn’t carry it to the Assay Office?
Caligula007

Post by Caligula007 »

Hello

Yes, annoying that there is only the master's brand, why only that. The others, as I said, were probably on the Nimbus. Well, you probably won't be able to clarify. By the way, here is the icon for it.

Greetings
Marcel

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The icon could have been a personal gift. Only marketed goods had to carry all marks.

Return to “Russian Silver”