Inverness maker HM?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
tedthepedantic

Inverness maker HM?

Post by tedthepedantic »

I have just acquired a rather grubby brooch made of silver and sea shells. The marks are "HM" "INVss". Does anyone know anything about this maker?

Turner's "Illustrated Directory" says this is "H Medlock". The Incorporation of Goldsmiths simply says "unknown" and "circa 1900".

There is of course Arthur Medlock of Inverness, who had his own business from about 1876 until 1906. Moss & Roe note that one of his children was named Helena - born 1886, married 1917. There is no mention of her making jewellery - and would she have been permitted to use her own mark?

I also note that the INVss punch is different from the Arthur Medlock marks that I have seen. His use a serif font - this one doesn't.

Any information will be gratefully received!
tedthepedantic

Re: Inverness maker HM?

Post by tedthepedantic »

Was re-reading ""Highland Gold & Silversmiths" by Moss & Roe.

In the entry for William Mason of Inverness, they note his family's records from the 1861 Census, which include a son "Hugh, aged 18, a jeweller".

They later say "a punch mark, "H M, INVss" *, was recorded in Phillips Sale Catalogue of 22 October 1982, lot 202. It is probable that this mark belonged to the Hugh Mason mentioned above; there appear to be no other contenders.".

This is far more likely than my whimsical notion of a silversmith's young daughter making jewellery!

I haven't found that Phillips catalogue online. I know it's extremely unlikely, but if anyone happens to have it, I would be delighted to learn more about "lot 202".

Though I guess my best hope will be Phillips themselves, or perhaps the British Library.

* the 'ss' should be superscript, but the BBcode [sup] doesn't work on this forum.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Inverness maker HM?

Post by dognose »

Hi tedthepedantic,

Many thanks for updating the topic, it is appreciated.

Let's hope someone has a copy of that catalogue.

Trev.

Return to “European Jewelry”