MOSCOW JEWELRY BOX IMPORTED TO VIENNA

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ARGENTUM49

MOSCOW JEWELRY BOX IMPORTED TO VIENNA

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Trompe-l'Å“il jewelry box, engraved to resemble a snake- skin casket.The master`s mark is most probably ДЕ (the horizontal line is to low to be ``A`` and besides, I could not find ``AE`` in Moscow. ДМИТРИИ АЛЕКСАНДРОВИЧ ЕГОРОВ (in Postnikova 2408 and 20409) Assayer АНАТОЛИИ АПОЛОНОВИЧ АРЦИБАШЕВ (1891- 1896) (2125 in Postnikova — different hallmark !)
Austria — Hungary import mark (1891- 1901) letter ``A`` for Vienna.
Obviously, the Vienna market demanded more ``neutral`` design devoid of typical Russian décor (which I regret), therefore the snake- skin engraved décor, with stripes, buckles and even the engraved lock in front. Vienna import mark is consistent with dating.
Although this assayer’s hallmark AA is not depicted in Postnikova (I am not sure what edition I have), the Vienna import mark and the engraving technique prove the piece is genuine. It also means that Postnikova`s listed hallmarks are not the ``holly scripture``.
Ivan
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: MOSCOW JEWELRY BOX IMPORTED TO VIENNA

Post by Qrt.S »

Nice box but I have difficulties in seeing the maker's initilas as ДЕ instead I see them as АЕ as a serif font. That could be Aleksei Nikolajevitsh Jegorov in Moscow...maybe or somebody else but to me an unknown master, but Dimitrij it is not for mentioned reasons.

The assayer AA or Anatoli Artsibashew marked to my understanding in Astrakhan 1884, in Vilnius 1886-1889(98?) 1899-1914 and in between in Moscow 1889-1898. It is a bit unclear where and when. Different sources give different working periods. Nonetheless in 1893 he seems to have been in Moscow to me too.
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

In Postnikova, in the edition I have, page 205 or number 2125 there is Moscow assayer AA for АРЦИБАШЕВ АНАТОЛИИ АПОЛОНОВИЧ (1891- 1896).
I thought about the first letter being A but the horizontal line is too low for a A and those two short vertical lines on which letter Д stands are missing, as often seen in Cyrillic alphabet.Besides, there is clearly visible StGeorge and all other assay offices can be excluded.
Ivan
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

You don't need to repeat what is already mentioned. Postnikova is not the only source at all. In addition it is written in 1963 and a lot of researching with new findings has happened since 1963. Nobody denies the assayer. What I say is that the first letter is not Cyrillic D but A. Here, take a new look. On purpose I have used a serif font. Now you can clearily see the difference between Д, А and Е and how the serifs look like and where the horizontal bar is on each letter.
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Argentum49 -

Russian cigarette- or cigar boxes in Trompe-l´oeil technique had always the optic of wooden original cigarboxes from Cuba (Havanna), with customs/tax banderole! The only pattern with leather belt and buckles are the cigarette cases simulating a suitcase with engraved handles on the side, but in plain silver. Today several fake cases in this pattern plus a name cartouche are offered in the internet as Russian - but they are Austrian made and later russificated.

Snake- or aligator/crocodile skin in Trompe-l´oeil were an Austria-Hungary "invention", which was copied in Germany and France. There are numerous different models known. Here is one of Georg Anton Scheid (G.A.S.), Vienna, one of the best Austrian silversmiths, from my Austrian collection: survace aligator/crocodile

The marks: G.A.S., local production mark (doghead facing right with number 3 left of it) for silver 800 in use May 26th 1866 - April 22nd 1922. You can see the donation date 17.X.97 on the rim.

Your box has the Austtrian-Hungarian import mark (1891-1901) but no silver content mark.
In my opinion: this is an German or French box ( typical the name cartouche and the nonrussian thumbpiece) imported to Austria-Hungary and later russificated - very common with this kind of silver. Look at the marks....

Here a typical Russian cigarre box

Regards
Postnikov
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Dear Postnikov,
Will you be so kind to explain the following statement of yours (from your reply):
Quote: ``Russian cigarette- or cigar boxes in Trompe-l´oeil technique had always the optic of wooden original cigar boxes from Cuba (Havana), with customs/tax banderole!The only pattern with leather belt and buckles are the cigarette cases simulating a suitcase with engraved handles on the side, but in plain silver.`` This last sentence confused me.
Does it mean that cigarette cases imitating suitcases were made in Russia, as can be concluded from your sentence? Or you have NEVER seen a Russian ``suitcase pattern`` box ? With your experience, the information would be most valuable. Thanks a lot,
Ivan
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Argentum49 -
ARGENTUM49 wrote:The only pattern with leather belt and buckles are the cigarette cases simulating a suitcase with engraved handles on the side, but in plain silver.
A picture help more than thousand words. Here you go: a plain Russian cigarette case, only with strap/belt and buckle. No cartouche! The initials engraved on the surface. With cartouche and Russian marks = former Austrian/French/German = fake!
On cigar boxes this pattern was not used in Russia.

Regards
Postnikov
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

ARGENTUM49 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:45 am Image

Trompe-l'Å“il jewelry box, engraved to resemble a snake- skin casket.The master`s mark is most probably ДЕ (the horizontal line is to low to be ``A`` and besides, I could not find ``AE`` in Moscow. ДМИТРИИ АЛЕКСАНДРОВИЧ ЕГОРОВ (in Postnikova 2408 and 20409) Assayer АНАТОЛИИ АПОЛОНОВИЧ АРЦИБАШЕВ (1891- 1896) (2125 in Postnikova — different hallmark !)
Austria — Hungary import mark (1891- 1901) letter ``A`` for Vienna.
Obviously, the Vienna market demanded more ``neutral`` design devoid of typical Russian décor (which I regret), therefore the snake- skin engraved décor, with stripes, buckles and even the engraved lock in front. Vienna import mark is consistent with dating.
Although this assayer’s hallmark AA is not depicted in Postnikova (I am not sure what edition I have), the Vienna import mark and the engraving technique prove the piece is genuine. It also means that Postnikova`s listed hallmarks are not the ``holly scripture``.
Ivan
Dear Argentum49 I realize this is very old post but it could be possible for you to resend the images that are no more available? I'm trying to learn more about this very very discuss mark of Igor Pankratiev but I can't decipher the code written inside the text of the posts and therefore I understand half if not a third of what you were saying, talk about the silversmith's marks that always appears with another brand that has never been clarified whether to be from a city or a goldsmith? Your interview would be really appreciated, also if you want to enlight me on the querelle..... many thanks!!
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

no response from any canton or place? I'm sorry to ask but if whoever contributed to this interesting post at the time, ok it's been more than 10 years, could put back the no longer available images and decode the string, ДЕ (the horizontal line is to low to be ``A`` and besides, I could not find ``AE`` in Moscow. ДМИТРИИ АЛЕКСАНДРОВИЧ ЕГОРОВ (in Postnikova 2408 and 20409) Assayer АНАТОЛИИ АПОЛОНОВИЧ АРЦИБАШЕВ (1891- 1896) (2125 in Postnikova — different hallmark !), for me, it would be really appreciated!
Are we talking about Igor Pankratiev right?!

Thank in advance,
Giulia
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Cannot help you, sorry, but the case Pankratjev has been discussed earlier, look here:
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/search.p ... Pankratjev
It is a rather "mysterious" case. ???????????????

Return to “Russian Silver”