Is this a large shell scoop?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
dancula

Is this a large shell scoop?

Post by dancula »

Made by Edward Alldridge I, London, 1751. Length 13.5 cm, width 12.3 cm, weight 107 grams.
Is it a scoop? It resembles a butter bowl/dish but has no feet/legs and appears never to have had any (no indication of removal or repairs).
Any ideas?

Aguest
contributor

Re: Is this a large shell scoop?

Post by Aguest »

::::: How could this be something other than a non-footed butter pat/dish? :::::
::::: Was it used for outdoor purposes like a picnic blanket so that's why it is non-footed and unusually heavy (to weigh down the picnic blanket?). :::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: So the weight isn't all that unusual after all, but this couldn't be a tea caddy spoon because it's just completely wrong for that form. :::::
:::: Has anyone ever seen a non-footed butter dish? ::::::
dancula

Post by dancula »

Thanks for the input.

Well I just found an identical item being sold as a butter dish, so I guess I'll go with that description.
silverly

Post by silverly »

dancula wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:05 am
Well I just found an identical item being sold as a butter dish, so I guess I'll go with that description.
A seller’s description alone is not enough justification to call this a butter dish for me.
dancula

Post by dancula »

In that case I am still open to suggestions! :)
silverly wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:24 am
dancula wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:05 am
A seller’s description alone is not enough justification to call this a butter dish for me.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: Something to do with sewing? Like a pin cushion for someone who wanted to keep a pin-dish on their lap while sewing? ::::

:::: If the seller is known in the field and has decades of experience in English Silver (as seems to be the case here), then the label of "butter-dish" would carry a little more weight than someone who just found this at a garage sale and decided to flip it. :::::

::::: And the seller would basically have no choice but to call this a "butter dish" in order to attract the serious collector of this form because there is no other way for the buyer to input the word "butter-dish" and call up the examples that are for sale, so even if the seller wasn't 100% convinced that it is a butter-dish, the seller would have to include the search-term "butter-dish" in order to attract the buyers who are looking to buy this form. :::::

::::: Maybe call the seller and ask them how they are certain this is a butter-dish? Maybe the seller has seen a set in a box with butter knives in the past? ::::
dancula

Post by dancula »

Thanks for the options I shall have to consider..
Aguest wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 3:26 pm :::: Something to do with sewing? Like a pin cushion for someone who wanted to keep a pin-dish on their lap while sewing? ::::

:::: If the seller is known in the field and has decades of experience in English Silver (as seems to be the case here), then the label of "butter-dish" would carry a little more weight than someone who just found this at a garage sale and decided to flip it. :::::

::::: And the seller would basically have no choice but to call this a "butter dish" in order to attract the serious collector of this form because there is no other way for the buyer to input the word "butter-dish" and call up the examples that are for sale, so even if the seller wasn't 100% convinced that it is a butter-dish, the seller would have to include the search-term "butter-dish" in order to attract the buyers who are looking to buy this form. :::::

::::: Maybe call the seller and ask them how they are certain this is a butter-dish? Maybe the seller has seen a set in a box with butter knives in the past? ::::
bijoux.expert
contributor

Post by bijoux.expert »

I've seen these scoops in France described as used for scooping the baptismal water onto a baby's head.
Wealthy families would have them made with their crest and would use them for many baptisms.
bijoux.expert
contributor

Post by bijoux.expert »

A similar baptismal shell in silver plate is currently for sale on eBay with the following description :
Silver-plated Old English Baptismal Shell. The Scallop Shell is the traditional emblem of St James, who was a fisherman by trade until he left his family to follow Jesus. Instead of fishing for scallops, he was to become, in Jesus' words, 'a fisher of people'. A medieval Christian making the pilgrimage to St James' shrine would carry a scallop shell with him to present to abbeys, churches, castles etc. where he could expect to be given as much sustenance in the form of barley, oats or perhaps beer or wine as a scoop would allow. Thus, even the poorest household could give charity without being overburdened.

Return to “Mystery Objects”