Sterling pill box with British coin in lid, strange marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Silverhound1628

Sterling pill box with British coin in lid, strange marks

Post by Silverhound1628 »

So I am stumped on this one. The item is a small, round pill box with a British 3 Pence set in the lid. The marks seem odd, and I cannot find anything within the main site to tell me country of origin or maker. I chose Sheffield for this because one of the marks look similar to the Sheffield city mark, though there is no lion passant mark. Inside, there are scattered marks: one appears to be a lowercase "b" within a square, one is an uppercase "ES" within a rectangle, and another appears to be a crown within a square. "925" is also stamped inside, as well as on the bottom with another mark that I cannot make out.

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Sterling pill box with British coin in lid, strange marks

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Your images are not showing for some reason. https://postimages.org is recommended for photo hosting (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images).

Phil
Silverhound1628

Post by Silverhound1628 »

Silverhound1628 wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:31 am So I am stumped on this one. The item is a small, round pill box with a British 3 Pence set in the lid. The marks seem odd, and I cannot find anything within the main site to tell me country of origin or maker. I chose Sheffield for this because one of the marks look similar to the Sheffield city mark, though there is no lion passant mark. Inside, there are scattered marks: one appears to be a lowercase "b" within a square, one is an uppercase "ES" within a rectangle, and another appears to be a crown within a square. "925" is also stamped inside, as well as on the bottom with another mark that I cannot make out.

Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, the central mark looks like "CS" to me, and the other marks look a little strange to me also. With the Victoria coin in you would expect a duty head for that date. Is it possible it may have been made from a watch case?

Fishless
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Am I the only one who can't see the pictures?
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello again, up here in the North Phil, we could see both the original and 2nd listing of images.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Lack of images seems to have been down to an issue between my broadband supplier (Vodafone) and the ImageShack site. Image visibility is now somewhat patchy. Sometimes I see them - and then they go again.

I don't think this box can have been made from an English watch case as there would have been no need for the 925 mark.

Phil

Return to “Other Countries”