Elkington &Co ewers

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

Elkington &Co ewers

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all,
I'm wondering to know the exact date of fabrication of this ewer's pair from Elkington&Co. Given that there is no presence of any written EPNS, EP OR EPBM, mandatory since 1896, I thought it was earlier and those marked on them, only pseudo hallmarks artfully affixed which were the consrtant at the time , but it really looks like a serial product of the twentieth century, since there is no hallmark of the city, how do I understand if it is Birmingham or London or which other branch of the headquarters that produces them? Also the number engraved above the tip refers to the serial model number? both have the same number, they differ because one is I and the other II in roman letters.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Elkington &Co ewers

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The date of manufacture is 1874. Such pieces would have been made at their manufactory located at Newhall Street, Birmingham.
Given that there is no presence of any written EPNS, EP OR EPBM, mandatory since 1896
Where did you get that idea from?

Trev.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

dognose wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:22 am Hi,

The date of manufacture is 1874. Such pieces would have been made at their manufactory located at Newhall Street, Birmingham.
Given that there is no presence of any written EPNS, EP OR EPBM, mandatory since 1896
Where did you get that idea from?

Trev.
Hy Trev., first of all thjank you for the celery!
I also answer you with a question! according to the Tardy, pp.251, and silvercollection website on the dating letters page for Birmingham: https://www.silvercollection.it/english ... ksBIR.html,
1874 has a Z within a circle and not an N, so how do you understand the year of manufacture and place?
To answer your question instead, I leave you the link to one of the many sites from which I was able to get this information from 1896 as a term ante quem having to enter the wording EPNS and the others.
http://www.argentinglesi.com/silver-plate.php

Can you kindly explain me where did you get that info that they're from 1874 and from Birmingham?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

You are confusing the English hallmarking system for precious metals with Elkington's own dating system for plated wares, they are quite different and have no connection with each other.

There was no requirement under British law to mark plated wares with EPNS etc. Only in 1896 was the use of a 'Crown' mark outlawed following pressure from the Sheffield Assay Office, nothing more.

Trev.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

dognose wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:20 am Hi,

You are confusing the English hallmarking system for precious metals with Elkington's own dating system for plated wares, they are quite different and have no connection with each other.

There was no requirement under British law to mark plated wares with EPNS etc. Only in 1896 was the use of a 'Crown' mark outlawed following pressure from the Sheffield Assay Office, nothing more.

Trev.
Thanks, and what about the number engraved on the base? is it the serial number of the model or the matricola number?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Yes, the number likely refers to the model number.

Trev.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

dognose wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:45 am Yes, the number likely refers to the model number.

Trev.
Dear Trev thanks you!! You are a well of wisdom, this forum is such an incredible place. I have never had so many exhaustive and professional answers in years of work.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”