help to recognize Savoy? emblem on flute

Do not post mark questions here.
GiulyF

help to recognize Savoy? emblem on flute

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all,I'm cataloguing twelve champagne flutes that I assumed they are in silver, I don't have the tester acid with me but I did the magnet test and it was negative. The are no marks on them, the silver seem very "ancient" and heavy, there is a coat of arms on the base, engraved with letters LS, they come from Lloyd Savoy, an Italian shipping company partly promoted by the House of Savoy, but I don't recognize the figure of the animal, Is there anyone who can help me recognize itand tell me more about? moreover, what can be said about silver barrels without obvious hallmarks? are they filled with resin or other material as was the case in cutlery? Moreover there is a glass that seems to be made of a different material, the silver is lighter and more opaque than the others, you can see it on the right in the overall photo.

amena
contributor

Re: help to recognize Savoy? emblem on flute

Post by amena »

The eagle with the cross on its chest mimics the 19th century mark of the Savoyard state, but it obviously isn't.
It seems to see, on the stem of the flutes, a line that suggests the joining line of a mold. This leads one to believe that it is a stamped and silvered shank.
As stated many times in these forums the absence of attraction of a magnet proves nothing.
Regards
Amena
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

amena wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:23 am The eagle with the cross on its chest mimics the 19th century mark of the Savoyard state, but it obviously isn't.
It seems to see, on the stem of the flutes, a line that suggests the joining line of a mold. This leads one to believe that it is a stamped and silvered shank.
As stated many times in these forums the absence of attraction of a magnet proves nothing.
Regards
Amena
Dear Amena,
in fact it doesn't really look like the Savoy eagle but rather a fawn. why do you tell me that the magnet test is absolutely not effective? in the absence of anything else I believe it is a valid way to test precious metals.
Moreover, since it is an on-board supply, it will certainly have been made in series and not individually, do you think they could be silver plated and not silver?
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

The so-called magnetic test is based on the current induced in a metallic object by a changing magnetic field.
Indeed if, for example, you place a magnet on a steeply inclined silver tray it will fall down much more slowly than it would on a stainless steel tray. This depends on the electrical conductivity of the metal, as well as the thickness.
However, if you do the same experiment with a copper or silvered copper tray, also in this case the fall of the magnet will be very slow, given that the electrical conductivity of copper is also very high, and the difference in speed between silver and copper cannot be evaluated by eye.
The magnetic test, therefore, is a necessary but not sufficient condition, and, in any case, it only concerns a variable magnetic field.
Verifying that a certain object is not attracted by a magnet means nothing: many metals are not attracted by the magnet, copper, zinc, brass, tin and so on....
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

amena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:00 am The so-called magnetic test is based on the current induced in a metallic object by a changing magnetic field.
Indeed if, for example, you place a magnet on a steeply inclined silver tray it will fall down much more slowly than it would on a stainless steel tray. This depends on the electrical conductivity of the metal, as well as the thickness.
However, if you do the same experiment with a copper or silvered copper tray, also in this case the fall of the magnet will be very slow, given that the electrical conductivity of copper is also very high, and the difference in speed between silver and copper cannot be evaluated by eye.
The magnetic test, therefore, is a necessary but not sufficient condition, and, in any case, it only concerns a variable magnetic field.
Verifying that a certain object is not attracted by a magnet means nothing: many metals are not attracted by the magnet, copper, zinc, brass, tin and so on....
but sorry if the silver is not magnetic, the magnet should therefore descend much faster on the silver than on the steel tray which instead attracts it and keeps it attached. I feel like to be complete fool for asking these kinds of questions, and to welcome the answers btw, but I also wonder how people used to do when there wasn't today's technology and services to guarantee that silver was silver, and I'm not talking about the seventeenth century but only about the 1700s, when they could efficiently test metals using acids as per today? I think grandma's old remedies were more than used, like the magnet, ice, smelling....
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

As I have tried to explain, a moving magnet generates a changing magnetic field, which in turn generates an induced current, which in turn generates a magnetic field.
This is what slows down the magnet, not the attraction of the metal.
As for grandma's old remedies like the magnet, ice, smelling.... they are just urban legends.
However, satisfy your curiosity and have your glasses tested by an expert.
Best regards
Amena
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

amena wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:26 am As I have tried to explain, a moving magnet generates a changing magnetic field, which in turn generates an induced current, which in turn generates a magnetic field.
This is what slows down the magnet, not the attraction of the metal.
As for grandma's old remedies like the magnet, ice, smelling.... they are just urban legends.
However, satisfy your curiosity and have your glasses tested by an expert.
Best regards
Amena
Dear Amena, and to those reading this post, would you think it could be silver? it is an on-board service supplied to the first or tourist class of a very famous Italian ocean liner, the pendant service with a large cooler-glacette which contains two bottles and twelve flutes. I doubt that it could be Alpacca, therefore only silver plated? would you let me know what you think?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Please listen to the advise given. Not silver, to make sure and satisfy your curiosity have it tested by an expert.
Best regards,

Peter
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

It was no shame to use silverplate

GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

amena wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:31 am It was no shame to use silverplate

Yepp I was just checking those catalogs yestarday, and I also know who did them..To be sure,in the absence of acid to test the metal and considering its destination, it is better to be careful and consider them plated..

Thanks a lot for the informative material uploaded!

Return to “General Questions”