Tremolierstich

Do not post mark questions here.
GiulyF

Tremolierstich

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all,
Is there anyone who can accurately explain the function of the tremolierstich on the pieces in Germany?
I know that it was used for the assay of the metal, but by whom? the corporation? was it some kind of assayeur's mark like in Russia? In Russia tasters had their distinctive mark with their initials, they were considered in the same way as goldsmiths, why not in Germany? and how did this happen, did the taster take a sample of silver from the zigzag line and then check it? I'm curious to know this more in-depth information than only, it was traced for the assay of the precious metal.

thanks to whoever can enlighten me!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Tremolierstich

Post by dognose »

Hi,

This topic may be of interest:

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6550

Trev.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

dognose wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:43 am Hi,

This topic may be of interest:

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6550

Trev.
Hy Trev thanks for the reference to the old post that dealt with this topic, I didn't understand though, maybe it's me who can't understand, I can't understand how the taster managed to put aside the silver taken, if he used burins or points, it was curls of silver right? he then took everything to the guardian of the guild who averaged the fineness of the metal used by that same silversmith also for other artefacts, did I understand correctly? how could he literally "pick up" these tiny silver petals? I then think of an ancient laboratory where there was not the same cleanliness and hygiene that we find today, simply by vacuuming and removing dust and traces of other susbstances...
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

It was done by the assayer. Are there any more marks ?
Regards
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Since we are talking about tremolierstich, I have often wondered why there are so many ancient objects that are devoid of any trace of taking out. Maybe the trace was being smoothed out or what?
Thank for attention
Amena
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, it was up to the warden to decide which workshop to control and what pieces. He then selected a few items from that workshop, removed a little silver from each piece and melted that down together to have it checked. If it was found to meet the silver standard it was then assumed that this applied to the whole output of that workshop. So the other pieces from that workshop were not controlled and thus had no "Tremolierstich". Small wonder this system did not work too well... Regards Bahner
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Thank you Bahner for your participation.
Probably this way of testing random was in use in some cities, and this would explain the fact that so few pieces have signs of taking out, but certainly in some others it was compulsory to test each individual piece. This, at least, required the rule.

Return to “General Questions”