Help identify Sugar spoon- plate or sterling- L/anchor/T and Crown

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Nat925

Help identify Sugar spoon- plate or sterling- L/anchor/T and Crown

Post by Nat925 »

Help me identify this please?
A sugar spoon that may be silverplate or silver. Some of the markings on the back (not pictured) are partially rubbed off, and they’re too small to photograph.
The pic of the back of the spoon shows what looks like the manufacturer’s mark. I’ve looked and haven’t seen this mark. I’ve looked up manufacturers names/initials and couldn’t find a match for LT with or without an anchor and/or crown.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Sasropakis
contributor

Re: Help identify Sugar spoon- plate or sterling- L/anchor/T and Crown

Post by Sasropakis »

Crown, anchor and initials look rather prominent for a manufacturer's mark. I've seen that kind of anchor/rope used as a wedding symbol and the initials are for the couple. If you Google anchor and wedding you can see what I mean.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It is not a mark but engraved Royal Navy (most likely merchant) house flag (badge, logo).
It belonged to ship flatware, possibly to an ocean cruiser.
Regards
Nat925

Post by Nat925 »

Sasropakis wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:31 pm I've seen that kind of anchor/rope used as a wedding symbol and the initials are for the couple.
That’s interesting, thanks. I’d never thought about that, but how likely is it that a couple had flatware made for their wedding?
It’s probably more likely that it was from a ship.
At this point I’m more interested in determining whether is plate or sterling. I’m leaning towards plate, don’t know if I can be bothered to have it tested.
Essexboy Found
contributor

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, we need to see those rubbed marks. A crisp image like the monogram one could give information. Even a rubbed "silver guarantee" mark might be recognisable, and confirm solid silver. Likewise a mark associated with electroplating may be decipherable.

Fishless
Nat925

Post by Nat925 »

Ok, got those markings photographed. Any clues? Thanks

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”