marked positioned correctly?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
GiulyF

marked positioned correctly?

Post by GiulyF »

Hi all, I wonder if these brands are positioned correctly, in consideration of the era they want to "simulate", i.e. the 18th century, on the tastevin.
I know for these kinds of items the right place to find them is on the body or under the base and neck, right? (I open parentheses: please correct me and add as much information as possible in this sense, I don't speak French and translating from Tardy and Helft which reports French writing of the eighteenth is a mess, half of what I translate I don't understand!!! thank you very much and we close the parenthesis), and apart from the fact that I have a guarantee hallmark from the 1800s, the crab, I don't understand if it is correct to see that small unloading hallmark or that of General Fermier on duty, placed there only on the edge. I KNOW IT IS PUNCHED BY ITSELF AT THE FINISHED OBJECT AND IT IS VERY SMALL AND UGLY TO RECOGNIZE, I was just wondering if it is right that it should be placed there, and then it is too linear and synthetic in its line, it seems made by a child playing with a burin for the first time, moreover why a guarantee hallmark from 1838 on an object that should be from 1744?? not to mention that I have not found any feedback on the silversmith.

JayT
contributor

Re: marked positioned correctly?

Post by JayT »

Hello
Thank you for the clear photos of the marks, and for showing the entire object.

It appears my friend that you have presented an authentic, 18th C French tastevin.

You have a maker’s mark for Henry Allain. He apprenticed to David André at age 16 on 24 January 1715. On 5 October 1745 he registered his mark, a crowned fleur-de-lys, 2 pellets, initials HA, symbol a globe. He worked at Place Dauphine, then beginning in 1759 at Cour Lamoignon. He no longer was listed in 1766.
You also have a partial date letter mark of a crowned D for 1744.
There is a charge mark of a crowned A, in use 1744-1750, and a discharge mark for small objects of an eagle head facing left from the same period.
Thus all 4 marks are in concordance, and are punched in the appropriate places for a tastevin.

A covered mustard pot by this maker is found in the David Weill collection.

In addition you have a crab silver standard mark for small objects that was punched at a later date, which is perfectly acceptable.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.
Regards.

See Nocq, v.1, p. 7.

Return to “French Silver”