Cutlery

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Raffaello

Cutlery

Post by Raffaello »

Helo. I can not identify the manufacturer or the year of these cutlery. I found the photo of the same cutlery on page 77 by: Joele Langford, Silber, alles über das Sammeln von Silber und die Identifizierung von Silbermarken; unfortunately Langford does not name the manufacturer. Thanks to anyone who can help me. Regards.
Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: Cutlery

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello your cutlery marks look like marks seen on many bits of early/mid 19th century Sheffield electroplated cutlery. I do not think you will find that definitive maker. There is no makers marks and those pictorial marks mimic English silver hallmarks. A crown mark was the guild mark for Sheffield hallmarked silver and it did become illegal to put a crown on electroplated ware in the mid 1890's. Your cutlery has pseudo hallmarks on, and if you look at the "x" like mark, turned 90 degrees, it has almost a lion passant shape. It may or may not have been for deception? I always think that cutlery without actual maker's identification could have been produced for a cutlery dealer or even commissioned by another cutlery producing company when the actual maker identification was not wanted to be "advertised" by a seller. There may be other opinions to follow mine.

Fishless
Raffaello

Re: Cutlery

Post by Raffaello »

Fishless, thank you very much for your opinion, I am now discovering the silver plate and I realize that all those hallmarks that are on the pieces often correspond to fantasy, a bit like the fake Hanau hallmarks, even if those were silver massive. I'm discovering a world where not everything was clear, in fact they wanted to confuse the customer.
Thanks and best regards.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”