T&S of London?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Essexboy Found
contributor

T&S of London?

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, because of my IT problems I am in my new persona and thank you Trev. Little change in my choice of post subjects though, the lower end of the silver spectrum.
I was researching a less well known "retailing" concern when I found an interesting entry (to me at least) in an 1899 London Post Office trades directory. It was a list labelled "Birmingham & Sheffield Warehouses". The concern I was looking for was not there, but who were all those listed firms? Did they sell cutlery with their own "labelling" on?

Would these concerns contribute to some of those unknown electroplate marks that I and possibly others come across now and again. Some of those unknown marks carry an "L" where you frequently see that "S" letter that is seen on much Sheffield made electroplate. I did have an image of electroplate marks from a spoon containing that "L" and I could not identify it. Was the name "Treliving & Smith" near to the bottom of the list, a candidate for selling a "T&S" spoon with "L" on.

The teapot in the image is pewter but has that "Treliving & Smith" mark on the base.
I had never heard of them before, but they were listed in the 1891 London Directory and for other years. The below extract from the July 14th 1891 London Gazette and gives some full names.

NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Alfred Treliving and George Smith, carrying on business as Ironmongers and Hardwaremen, at 100 and 101, Minories, London, under the style or firm of Treliving and Smith, and at Balham, Surrey, under the style or firm of G. Smith and Co., has been dissolved, by mutual consent, as from the 31st day of March last. All debts due to or owing from the said firm will be received and paid by the said Alfred Treliving, who will in future carry on the said business for his own benefit under the same style or firm.

—As witness our hands this 8th day of July 1891.

ALFRED TRELIVING.
GEORGE SMITH.

A couple more trades directory entries here

----1899 Treliving & Smith, wholesale ironmongers & hardwaremen, London,. Birmingham & Sheffield factors, 100 & 101 Minories E; Vine Street &. Hammet street E C

-----1882 Treliving & Smith, wholesale ironmongers & hardwarcmen, London, Birmingham & Sheffield factors, 100 & I01 :Minories E

Anyone else heard of them, know a bit more or have another identification for the spoon marks?

Fishless

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”