Silver tastevin. French?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Pallama

Silver tastevin. French?

Post by Pallama »

I have a silver tastevin with the hand tooled inscription "amour et vin, presents divins." Hallmark attached. Can anyone identify the silversmith?

Thanks!

http://postimg.org/image/5ki6jomrp
JayT
contributor

Re: Silver tastevin. French?

Post by JayT »

Wish I could help, but the mark looks too blurry on my monitor.
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

Sorry. I will try to get a sharper image and post it tomorrow.

Incidentally I found a small bighorns on it as well. Will try to post that too.
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

These are not much better. I have a CanonT3i but I don't have a macro lens and the hallmark is only about a millimeter. Hope you can see them.

Tastevin
Hallmark
Bigorne
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Well we’re getting closer. Believe that you’re showing the mark upside down. If so, the maker’s symbol between the two initials appears to be an anchor. Still can’t make out the initials. Perhaps with magnification you could read them?

The saying on the handle reads: Love and wine, presents divine. Rhymes in French and in English!
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

JayT wrote:Well we’re getting closer. Believe that you’re showing the mark upside down. If so, the maker’s symbol between the two initials appears to be an anchor. Still can’t make out the initials. Perhaps with magnification you could read them?

The saying on the handle reads: Love and wine, presents divine. Rhymes in French and in English!
Thanks, I speak French, but I don't speak Hallmark or Bigorne. I will keep trying but this sucker is tiny. I am looking for high quality magnifying glass I can shoot it through.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Hi Pallama,

Jay was just assisting me with my French spoon, let me see if I can be of assistance here.

You shot the bigorne like a champ, I know you can hit the mark on the lozenge makers mark. Use a well chewed wooden toothpick with a little silver polish to gently take some of the tarnish off the mark only. Please see my two hallmark images for the Jean Toulon posted here in French silver, that guarantee mark is also very very small. Look at the difference of before and after.

After your done try placing a piece of textured cloth behind the mark as you shoot. The weave may give the camera lense something to focus on, zero in on it as it were. Indirect sunlight filtered through a drape may be enough. Then just keep shooting until your happy with it. On Photobucket I crop, enlarge, and sharpen the image until it's presentable. The more you shoot these types of marks the better you'll get at it.

Good Luck
Warren
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

Thanks

I am still having trouble with the shot. However under a magnifying glass I am 90%+ sure that this is M P with an up arrow (anvil / hammer?) in the middle.

I will try to draw this out in a shot but am skeptical I can do much more.

Anyone know an MP? Buehler?
Zilver2
contributor

Post by Zilver2 »

Hello,
The MP mark belongs to the silversmith M Parrot, Dijon, 1816
Symbol : an upright arrow.
Maybe other members will have more info regarding this silversmith.
Regards
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

Zilver2 wrote:Hello,
The MP mark belongs to the silversmith M Parrot, Dijon, 1816
Symbol : an upright arrow.
Maybe other members will have more info regarding this silversmith.
Regards
Thanks Zilver!

:)

Good find. I have looked Parrot up and found similar marks. Why do you say 1816? Could the saperde bigorne make it as late as 1835?

I am looking at lots of Parrot tastevins and not seeing any with handles decorated like this cupid and lettering. Was it unusual to embellish the handles of tastevins?
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

AHA. Found another very similar from Parrot.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Thanks all!
Zilver2
contributor

Post by Zilver2 »

Hello again,
To answer your question, the bigorne marks (of which the saperde mark) were introduced by ordinance of 1st July 1818 and used from August 1819 till May 1838.
Regards
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

Two more shots

Minerva? What does tell me? Is there something to her right I cannot get?

Clearer maker mark
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Hmmm . . . there seems to be much confusion here.

Firstly, bigorne marks were used up until 1984, though their design was completely changed in 1838.

Secondly, Dijon silversmith Marc Parraud was not even born until 1877, and he did not begin working until 1903. He had studied at Maison Dubret (under father and son Charles and Henri Dubret) in Dijon, and became one of the most important and prolific makers of tastevins and marriage coupes of the 20th century. From 1927 he was assisted by his wife, C. de Soubeyrand, a talented engraver. He died in 1944.

Lastly, if you look below Minerva's chin, you will see what appears to be a mirror-image "7" with a scalloped top: this is the Phonecian letter "sade" and was the distinguishing mark of the assay office in Besançon (where Dijon items were assayed after the office there closed on February 1, 1914.

To sum up: by Marc Parraud (1877-1944), assayed in Besançon between 1914 and 1944.

Hope this clears things up!

Ref: A. de Chassey, Orfevres De Bourgogne (Paris: Ed. Du Patrimoine, 1999), pp. 305, 315 & 480-481.
Pallama

Post by Pallama »

Thanks!

I have seen Parrot several places. How do I find Perraud?
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

There are two tastevins by him illustrated in the reference I mention, but an internet search should turn up more.

Also, note the correct spelling: PARROD. (That's what I get for typing so late at night!) It is frequently mis-spelled Parrot, Perrot, Parraud, etc.
GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

blakstone wrote: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:45 am There are two tastevins by him illustrated in the reference I mention, but an internet search should turn up more.

Also, note the correct spelling: PARROD. (That's what I get for typing so late at night!) It is frequently mis-spelled Parrot, Perrot, Parraud, etc.
Dear blakstone, even though this post is very old, is it possible that these initials are from a member of the Parrod family of Dijon? the symbol in the middle is the same, an upright arrow as for Marc Parrod....
We arecalways talking about a tastevin......

Return to “French Silver”