Three examples for authentic silver objects: enamal - niello - lacquer

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Silverstone
contributor

Three examples for authentic silver objects: enamal - niello - lacquer

Post by Silverstone »

Dear members,

today I want to show you three objects with authentic silver hallmarks.
Members of this forum are sometimes unsure about the hallmarks.
Sometimes can you find hallmarks even on the handles.

a) Kovsh 20. Artel,
Enamel 88 Zolotnik (916/1000)
PL p. 260, no. 3079

b) Niello-Kovsh, Kaukasus/KABKA3b
PL p. 260 ▶ “Ѵ” hallmark of Kiev

c) Tea glas holder/ podstakannik /подстака́нник - literally "thing under the glass"
Kangin, Wasilij
PL p. 181, no. 1244
Morozov, Iwan Ekimovich (court supplier) - imperial eagle on the hallmark
PL p. 183, no. 1344
Ljapumov, Yakov Nikolayevich (assay master)
PL p. 259, no. 3881

a)

b)

c)

Regards
Silverstone
Silverstone
contributor

Re: Three examples for authentic silver objects: enamal - niello - lacquer

Post by Silverstone »

Dear members,

this is a foto of the 88-hallmark at the handle of the enamel-kovsh.
You can also see a little part of the 20. Artel-hallmark

Regards
Silverstone
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my saying, but as stated a moment ago in an other tread (link below).
All detachable part in a Russian made silver objects made for sale must carry markings. Very ,very few exceptions exist, but more seldom seen on the market (except fakes :-))). The lack of marks on separate parts signalizes a red flag, and a BIG one. Moreover, as mentioned in the other thread, the current market is crowded with fakes and some of them are unfortunately very good fakes sometimes even better than authentic ones.
https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=61692
Have a nice day
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

All detachable parts, soldered riveted etc. to a marked body must also be marked.
When did this legislation actually start ? Came into effect ?
Definitively not until mid 19th century (as far as I can tell).
Thank you.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Russian domestic hallmarks 1908-1927. Compound hallmarks ; these hallmarks were used on moveable but attached part such as chains, hinges, boxes, chatelains, et cetera. Is a (soldered) handle on a little Russian enameled kovsh "really" removeable and always hallmarked? Let's wait for Mart's and/or Dad's contributions to solve this recurring hallmarking issue.

Peter.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

It so many years ago I read this in the legislation (difficult readings), but as far as I know it was not later than in the regulations of 1857 and assay charter of 1861. The object that was brought to the assay office for hallmarking had to be unfinished and in parts. All in order to avoid that parts could later be exchanged to parts in an illegal fineness. It was also strictly forbidden to hallmark finished items. One of the reason for this was that dubious individuals imported unmarked silver goods (it was not forbidden import such goods) and punched their own mark on it. It was as well forbidden to hallmark an object (finished or not) that did not already carry the maker's mark. There were other reasons too...

"If an article consisted of several parts the main part bore a town mark, a fineness mark, a year mark and the assayer's mark. All other parts town and fineness mark". It was a bit more complicated especially with certain objects (e.g. enameled, small ones and filigree objects, but this will do.

This topic has been discussed here years ago. Use the search function.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I have several British teapot finials properly marked, even screws etc. Unlike Russian silver bolts and screws on a couple of teapots and sugar boxes which are 100% genuine.
The point is; Russian legislation is often IDEALIZSED, AND IDOLIZED. Ina word, they con and avoid legislation this very year and let alone more than a century ago.
Therefore, the evaluation of quality matters ; is it made in China, Eastern Europe, India ? The silver has no wear and tear that cannot be faked ? Fortunately for us, we are still smarter than fakers.
But we are getting extinct, I collect medications, not silver any more.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Maybe I don't really understand the main long-standing topic of discussion, but in this particular case everything is correct. After 1908, only the sample number had to be put on secondary parts of products above 84 samples: "88", etc.
I see "88" on the bucket handle.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Mart,
This finally may solve the issue of secondary/compound hallmarks.
As you wrote; After 1908, only the sample number had to be put on secondary parts of products above 84 samples: "88", etc.
Thank you for the correct explanation and the additional information. Can you also provide us with a source reference?

@ Silverstone, thank you very much to show us these beautiful Russian art silver work and its authentic hallmarking.
Peter.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

No problems.
These are the rules for branding gold and silver products of 1908.
For products above "84"...minor parts are marked with sample numbers.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Большое спасибо. Хорошие выходные

Pjotr.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thanks!)))) And you too!
...Yes, the rules were complicated. There could be mistakes. At the beginning of the 20th century, the Rules and Assay Regulations were actively discussed and new ones were supposed to be adopted, but the revolution prevented.
At all times there were different branding traditions in different cities, although the rules were the same for everyone. A lot depended on the time of year. The assay establishment turned into hell before church holidays, because of the multitude of visitors. There could be mistakes due to the human factor, because the probirers were very tired.
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

As far as I know and just to add in the case of picture b) the round Kokoshnik was marked beside the oval Kokoshnik mark if the separate parts were too small, delicate or would ruin the decoration on these parts and would be left unmarked.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks Juke, you are right according to my source; until 1882, assaying was conducted on unfinished items that were then sent back to the manufacturer after hallmarking for any final work such as engraving, enameling, and polishing. After 1882, items were normally assayed when completely finished. If an article was very fragile or finely enameled and could potentially be damaged in the hallmarking process, a wax seal with a special hallmark was attached to the finished item instead of marking it.

Source; World Hallmarks Volume I, hallmarks of Europe 19th to 21st Centuries William B. Whetstone, Danusia V. Niklewicz, Lindy L. Matula 2nd Edition. page 245,Russia Assay Office Mark Element.

Peter.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

So, that document obviously sets 1882 as the milestone and explains the fact that many items made before that year are not marked in respect of this legislation. Of course, unless somebody quotes an earler reference proving otherwise, i.e. unfinished items were brought to assay offices to be marked before 1882 and assembled (soldered) later. Contrary assumptions would undermine everything we took for granted.
Nulla poena sine lege scripta
There is to be no penalty without written law. That is, criminal prohibitions must be set out in written legal instruments of general application, normally statutes, adopted in the form required by constitutional law. This excludes customary law as a basis of criminal punishment.
Regards
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

I may have already lost the point of the discussion, but:
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Mart,

To come to the point of this discussion. Russian silver is not easy to identify. Is it a real piece of old Russian silver or a counterfeit?
Most of us, including me, lack the necessary knowledge and due to our lack of knowledge of Russian language and writing, the Russian hallmark laws are difficult to understand.
Some contributors knowingly or unknowingly act like a jamming device and sometimes cause pollution and confusion. Not hindered by lack of knowledge immediately shout that it is probably a fake. Indeed, it makes you discouraged. That is why, in my opinion, it is necessary to get everything clear, and certainly with source reference. Thank you for your expert cooperation. The forum hopes you will stay with us as one of our top experts on Russian silver and Russian hallmark laws.

Peter.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Of course, I will tell what I know. Dad knows better Russian assay law. My main area of interest is the study of unknown silversmiths and those who are erroneously named in reference books, specifying the period of their work. And the assay laws of the 18th century.
In principle, everything is not very difficult. I think it is possible to find the truth by common efforts!

Return to “Russian Silver”