Identification of the silversmith

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
GiulyF

Identification of the silversmith

Post by GiulyF »

Hy all Russian lovers,
Could you help me recognize the silversmith by the hallmark? whether it's true or false, I'm interested in understanding who it is. a previous cataloging reports Yacov Borisov but I exclude him

thank you,
AG2012
contributor

Re: Identification of the silversmith

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It is supposed to be assayer Ivan Lebedkin in Moscow, but again, kokoshnik is all smudged and maker`s mark was done by someone not very familiar with Cyrillic letters, either an Asian faker or Eastern European careless faker who cut the punch (lower parts of both ЯБ are displaced to very low, unnatural poaition). Minor flaws are red flags !
The image of the whole item is always helpful.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

GiulyF

Post by GiulyF »

AG2012 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:07 am Image
Dear AG2012 I'm beginning to understand that you are a super professional (also very inflexible) of Russian silverware, great for me as I have to learn a lot! don't hate me but I read the goldsmith's monogram the other way, upside down from how you put the image :-p

I saw Lebedekin's initials in the kokoshnik punch, where they should be, the monogram should refer to the goldsmith but from my studies I don't understand who he is

I'm trying to read as much as I can about Russian kovsh here, for example in a very old post from 2012 you all wrote that all parts of the cup should be branded, vessel, handle and bowl, this has never happened to me in all the pieces I'm studying to see punched handle or prow..I'm heartbroken
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, according to the old Russian law all detachable parts should carry marks, but closing into the turn of the century and later you might find exceptions. The assayer is supposed to show Lebedkin in Moscow 1898-1914, but the maker's mark ЯБ? (Latin Ya B) is unfamiliar to me. Please note what AG2012 wrote. Bad punches are always suspicious ALWAYS! These punches are! In addition, the world of silver is crowded with fake cloisonné objects. Altogether, It smells fake. Therefore the marks have no meaning, whatsoever. It is a nice object , but....

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”