Silver tray, 'rocking horse' mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Juke*
contributor

Silver tray, 'rocking horse' mark

Post by Juke* »

Hi!

This 'rocking horse' mark has been previously thought at this site to be a fake one but I think it is in fact a genuine one. Would be nice to hear if there are any more evidence for or contra?

Thereby I believe this silver tray to be a genuine one by Andreij Vekman and assayed by Ivan Konstantinov.

Regards,
Juke
Mart
contributor

Re: Silver tray, 'rocking horse' mark

Post by Mart »

Hello!
Anders Wilhelm Wekman (a silversmith originally from Finland, they haven't been here for a long time))).
All the brands are correct.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I'm a bit suspicious (only a little bit). The K in assayer Konstantinov's K-letter has a sightly different shape that usually seen. Moreover, new hallmarks were implemented in February 1882. The year mark got its notches. The year mark here is 1882 but without notches, This means that the tray must have been made/assayed in January or early February 1882. But OK, could have! Anyway, this particular town mark of St. George's appearance/outlook has been discussed and questioned on these sites some years ago. The mark looks a bit strange for the period in question (actually rather "clumsy"), but? Moreover, I have not managed to find any information that Weckman would have punched AWW (or AW). Ivanov states that he punched AB or ABB (Cyrillic), but Ivanov has in some cases "shortcuts" regarding marks here and there in the book. I have not managed to find any information anywhere about this AWW punch, but again BUT???
It is a nice tray anyway,
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

I met the stamps "AWW" of the silversmith Anders Wilhelm Weckmann in 1860-1884. There is a lot of information about him in the address calendars.
It's a gift from me: Weckmann was born in 1825 in Finland (plus/minus a year). I do not know exactly the place, but his wife Maria Fedorovna Weckmann was born in Finland, Lovisa of Nyland province in 1826 (plus/minus a year). Loviisa, Uudenmaan lään, Nylands län.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry, but I said a bit suspicious and I still am regarding the Moscow town mark on the tray and the "notches". A gift in return: I dug into it a bit more on the Finnish side. The maker who used the punch AWW is, as already mentioned, Anders Wilhelm Weckman. He was born 8.4.1825 in Strömfors (Ruotsinpyhtää) in Finland. In those days a municipality close to the town of Lovisa. Today consolidated to Lovisa. His parents were:
Blacksmith Anders Weckman, born 1804 and mother Anna-Lisa Ericsdotter, born 1791. Anders moved to Lovisa 15.10.1841 where from he moved to St. Petersburg 15.3.1843. There are no traces of him living/working in St. Peterburg's registers probably for the reason that he must have left almost immediately for Moscow???

This is again an example of "too hasty conclusions" in Ivanoff (the punches!). You will find Weckman as #715 on p. 165 in vol. I. Please amend/complete the information there with the info above.
Juke*
contributor

Post by Juke* »

Thanks for the confirmation and information! Thereby it would be how I concluded. His mark can also be found in PL #3023 so it is noticed even there. Good to get the spelling of the name right, the name was first translated to Russia in PL and I tried to translate it back.

Return to “Russian Silver”