Help with hall mark on napkin ring...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

Re: Help with hall mark on napkin ring...

Post by AG2012 »

However, other silver from this period has the assayer's initials and the year - why would my napkin ring not have this?
Because the system of marking silver has changed in the meantime. Nothing wrong with thre marks.
``Period`` is rather vague term; we are talking about decades and changes happened within years. Your napkin ring is dated correctly by people here whose knowledge is beyond dispute.
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Mart,
About Jacob Wiberg (you should have opened a new tread). I cannot find any trace of him working in Finland. But, what is known is that he was born in Finland. He did not graduated or work here. I believe you might find him In Moscow with the name Yakov Yakolevich Viberg (Яков Виверг, active 1828-1853). His punches were WIBERG or JW (no dot) in an oval frame or JW. (wirth dot) in a square frame, hardly Я.В.). Is he the maker you look for I cannot know, but once I stumbled into him by coincident in Ivanov I #753 on p. 172.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Mart
Forgot, but found this:

Let me know if you need translation from Swedish. Anyway, the text says, that "probably Wiberg" and no marks are shown. Is there any marks at all? If not, where from did they get the manufacturing year 1832? ´
Last edited by oel on Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted url to online auction house. Violation of forum rules.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thanks!
I have no problems with information about Wiberg in Moscow. I managed to find information about him, about his wives, children, etc. His factory is well known. In the first half of the 19th century, it was one of the three largest after Sazikov and Gubkin. Wiberg died in 1854. I always try to find information about the silversmith's father. I wonder when he was a silversmith too. That's why I asked you to look for information in Finland. Thank you for responding!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Mart,
I see what can be found. It might take a while, be patient.....
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Huh, huh!
@Mart

Case Jacob Johan Wiberg

Wiberg was born 16.3.1796 in Tammisaari/Ekenäs. He moves to St. Petersburg 8.8.1814. Unfortunately he is not found in St Maria’s congregation’s books for the reason that they started to register not earlier than in 1828, sorry. There is not either any notes of his move to Moscow but I still believe this is the person in question.
Anyway, his father is blacksmith Jacob Wiberg, born 2.7. 1754 in Svartå close to Ekenäs. His mother is Greta/Margaretha Hindricsdotter/Henriksdotter. She was born 21.1.1764 in Svartå and died 9.2.1827 in Ekenäs.

His parents were

Father: Blacksmith Jacob Wiberg b. 2.7.1754 in Svartå and d. 9.2.1827 in Ekenäs.
Mother: Greta/Margaretha Hindricsdotter/Henricsdotter b. 21.1.1764 in Ingå and d. 7.6.1828 in Ekenäs.

Father’s parents
Miller Jacob Wiberg, born around 1729 in ? and dead 1789 in Svartå. (Retired soldier)
Helena/Lena Henricsdotter b. around 1728 (place unknown) and dead around 1789 in Svartå

Mother’s parents
Farmer Henrik Ersson/Eriksson, born around 1727 and dead 3.11.1785 in Ingå
Margareta Andersdotter, born 17.6.1736 and dead ???

Her parents are farmer Anders Andersson and Maria Nyman....Nyman???

A bit messy, but hopefully all you asked for.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Thanks! Yes, that's him. Wiberg's date of birth coincides - he died in Moscow in 1854 at the age of 58. The place of birth also coincides.
I am very grateful to you. Great job!

Return to “Russian Silver”