WINTLE, James (Grimwade p.707, 771)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

WINTLE, James (Grimwade p.707, 771)

Post by MCB »

James Wintle married Henrietta Roberts at St Bride, Fleet Street in 1810. He was from that parish, she from St Leonard parish, Shoreditch.
The christening of Henrietta daughter of James and Henrietta Wintle was recorded in 1811 at St Giles, Camberwell without further detail.
His first maker’s mark was entered at Goldsmiths Hall in 1812 as a spoon maker from Borough Road, moved to Bell Savage Yard, Ludgate Hill in 1812 and back to Borough Road in 1813.
Both he and his father George Wintle (Grimwade p.707, 771) went on trial for forgery at the Old Bailey in February 1813. He was 24 years old. Both were found not guilty.
The christening of daughter Mary Eden was recorded at St Luke, Finsbury in 1813. Their address was Camberwell.
The christening of their son James was recorded at the same church in 1815. Their address was Borough Road.
In 1815 he notified Goldsmiths Hall he had moved to North Street, City Road.
The christening of their son Thomas was recorded at the same church in 1825. Their address was North Street.
Throughout their father was recorded as a silversmith.
The burial of Henrietta Wintle aged 38 years, late of North Street, was recorded at St Luke, Finsbury in 1826.
Also in 1826 he notified Goldsmiths Hall he had moved to John Street, Waterloo Road.
There was a burial of a James Wintle aged 43 years late of Lambeth recorded at St Luke, Finsbury in February 1832 although Grimwade mentions makers' marks registered by him at Goldsmiths Hall from John Street, Waterloo Road in December 1833 and Rupel Street, Blackfriars Road from January 1834 to 1838.
A Jacob Wintle (born 1802 the son of George and Eden Wintle) was recorded in 1831 at John Street on the christening at St John the Evangelist, Lambeth of his daughter Sophia and on the 1841 UK Census for Roupell Street, Waterloo Road, both as a silversmith; he may be the person who registered the maker’s marks from 1833 onwards.
Aguest
contributor

Re: WINTLE, James (Grimwade p.707, 771)

Post by Aguest »

::::: Is this person related to "John Marriott Wintle" listed as registered September 1842 or is there no relationship? ::::
::::: I cannot find any information about this silversmith but I found a cup with the [IMW] hallmark assayed in 1842 (Gothic "G" date mark). :::::
::::: There should be more information & more examples of this silversmith's work but there seems to be nothing at all. ::::
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

John Marriott Wintle was James's younger brother. He was born on 1 Jan 1800 and baptised 17 Feb 1800 at St Sepulchre, Holborn, parents noted as George & Eden Wintle.

Phil
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: Thank you for the information ::::
::::: Maybe he passed away early & suddenly, all I can find is 2 cups + 1 mustard pot all 1842-1843 :::::
::::: I find the lack of information & output a little unusual, especially for a Victorian silversmith, but I defer to the experts ::::

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”