Larzelere & Co. (?) mark plus other marks

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AllSeasons

Larzelere & Co. (?) mark plus other marks

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you again for the help on the Henderson spoons, which I ended up purchasing. I now need the forum's help again on one more set of marks to help me add to my coin silver collection. The first mark may be missing the first letter, and may say "Larzelere & Co." I looked up the name Larzelere, but was only able to find a general store in Dowagiac, Michigan, that was in operation in the 1860's. I could not find information on the other 4 marks, which to me look like a cat, jellyfish, lion passant, and the letter D. I'm not sure which silversmith/wholesaler used these marks. Any help with attribution would be greatly appreciated.

I have an image of the marks below. Thank you in advance, as always.

wev
contributor

Re: Larzelere & Co. (?) mark plus other marks

Post by wev »

Daniel Larzelere & Co, dry goods merchants, Cass MI c 1860. Manufactured wholesale by Hall, Hewson & Brower of Albany. The D has been presumed to stand for Dollar -- ie coin vs plated -- but may just be a bench worker's mark.
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

wev wrote:Daniel Larzelere & Co, dry goods merchants, Cass MI c 1860. Manufactured wholesale by Hall, Hewson & Brower of Albany. The D has been presumed to stand for Dollar -- ie coin vs plated -- but may just be a bench worker's mark.
Perfect, thank you! I believe Dowagiac is in Cass County, so that matches up perfectly. I looked up Hall, Hewson & Brower on sterlingflatwarefashions.com, and they appear have an alternate mark on there that looks different from this one (image below). Is this because this is wholesale; whereas the other mark is retail?

wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I looked up Hall, Hewson & Brower on sterlingflatwarefashions.com, and they appear have an alternate mark on there that looks different from this one (image below). Is this because this is wholesale; whereas the other mark is retail?

Yes.
AllSeasons

Post by AllSeasons »

Great, thanks!
silverly

Post by silverly »

I don't know if this radically changes anything here, but there is a George S Larzelere in Dowagiac, Cass County, Michigan who is listed as a jeweler in the 1870 U S Federal Census. George Lazerlere is listed as a clerk in a jewelry store in Niles, MI in the 1860 U S Federal Census. I suspect this is George Sheldon Lazalere who was born in Adrian, Michigan in about 1842.

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”