Russian serving spoon 2

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
JanGroen
contributor

Russian serving spoon 2

Post by JanGroen »

Good day
This is the second spoon I got today. It is around 21cm with no decorations. If I understand the marks correctly it is from St Petersburg and makers mark could be K.P. Any help will be welcome as I really don't know much about Russian silver.
Groete
Jannie

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Russian serving spoon 2

Post by Qrt.S »

Your spoon is made 1904-1908 in St. Petersburg. The assayer (AP) is Aleksandr Romanov active there 1904-1912. Who the maker is (K.P.) is is a bit difficult. The last dot makes it difficult and in addition, is the maker's mark Latin KP or Cyrillic (Latin KR). Anyway, my best guess would be a Finn, Karl Reijonen, active in StP 1884-1908, but ????? The other punch is likely the retailers logo, but again??? Let's hope somebody else can identify the maker with certainty.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

Hello!
I think that your spoon was made in the silver workshop of Katarina Parkinen ("КР"), and then sold in the store of Peter Chuksanov ("П.Чуксанов").
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Well...as far as I know Ekaterina Yeremenyeva Parkinen's (1892-1908~1910) punch was Cyrillic ЕП and here it is K.P. (Cyrillic or Latin?). I don't think she marked K.P.. BUT! She also used her late husband's punch KP (P#1313 (no dots!)). Actually her correct surname was Parkkinen. Her husband Stephan Parkkinen was active in STP (1860-1898). His widow Katarina/Ekaterina inherited the workshop after his death. I don't see any connection between K.P. and ЕП. I believe that K.P. is unknown to name, but could be the unknown KP, K.P in Postnikova #1314 and #1315. He seems to have used several different punches...but?
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

"...as far as I know Ekaterina Yeremenyeva Parkinen's (1892-1908~1910) punch was Cyrillic ЕП..."
Your knowledge is not correct.
Katarina Parkkinen opened a silver workshop in 1882-1883. The brands "KP" appear on the spoons at this time.
The brand "ЕП" has its own owner and it is not Parkkinen.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

#Mart
Interesting that your statements are always correct (even if based on thin air) and mine are always incorrect.....indeed interesting!
If you are always correct how come that you claimed that the mark K.P. was Parkkinen's mark, which it is not. In addition, how didn't you know that the correct spelling was ParKKinen and not as you spelled it?
Of course the punch ЕП has many owners depending on the town and period and also the shape of the shield among those Jegor Pankratjev...
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

It's very simple. Because knowledge can be based on research, and not just on a simple citation of a source that contains a lot of errors. I don’t react to your regular insults in any way, it doesn’t bother me, but it only humiliates you.
1. "KP". The available hallmarks exactly correspond to the period of work of the silver workshop of Katarina: the beginning of the 1880s to the beginning of the 1910s, but not from 1892. Look at your favorite source of knowledge - the "KP" silversmith has also been known there since the 1880s. If you want, you can visit St. Petersburg and I will tell you the case number in the archive where the specific year of the opening of the Parkkinen workshop is indicated. The surname "Parkkinen" in the literature of those years is written with one "K" and two "KK".
2. I do not always correct you, but only when you bring erroneous outdated information. I just wish the forum had more accurate information.
3. Alas, but with Yegor Pankratiev and the "ЕП" stamp, you are also mistaken))) Pankratiev made completely different products.
I have a question for you too. Why does any of my correction of information infuriate you so much?))))
Over the past 3 weeks, I have updated information on more than 20 silversmiths. I can imagine how frustrating it will be for you.)))
Best wishes!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

What irritates me is your "besserwisser" attitude in all your comments and answers. Nobody and especially not you knows it all. A typical example is your loopy comment to how Parkkinen's name could be spelled. I know how a Finnish surname is spelled, you don't! What is written in books has no meaning. I have to admit that it was stupid of me to react on the original question. Moreover, I am pretty sure that you didn't know who was "Katarina's" husband. Now you know.

End of this discussion as for me.
Mart
contributor

Post by Mart »

This is very good! This is a great point: you know how many letters "K" in the surname Parkkinen, and I know what her real brand is and the period when she worked.
... You wrote something completely incomprehensible about Katarina's husband: "...Her husband Stephan Parkkinen was active in STP (1860-1898). His widow Katarina/Ekaterina inherited the workshop after his death... " If you believe this, then Katarina started working only after 1898, which is very stupid. So I have no reason to trust this information.

Return to “Russian Silver”