W Adams New York Tea? set I have some questions please?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
shelina

W Adams New York Tea? set I have some questions please?

Post by shelina »

Hi - I am helping an elderly couple downsize and they have quite a bit of old silver. From what I understand this maker was only in operation from 1831-1842. Also, this is coin silver rather than silverplate? What is that exactly? Anyway, this set has "Trowbridge" engraved on the front of the pieces; Trowbridge is in England correct? Would that be the name of the pattern? I haven't had much luck getting info on this maker - I did find out that he made the current House of Representatives ceremonial mace in 1841; other than that I can find nothing. I'm just not sure what to do with this set as it is completely out of my realm. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for sound a bit stupid; but I am when it comes to this! :)

2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Very impressive set. Important from both a silver and historical perspective. Thanks for sharing it with us.

It's made of coin silver. 925-1000.com ~ Silver Glossary
William Adams produced silver pieces from 1831 to 1850. He died around 1862.

He was also a famous politician in New York City.
- assistant alderman 1840-1842,
- president of the board of alderman 1842-1843,
- alderman 1847-1848, and
- commisioner of repairs and supplies 1850, 1852.

He did create a silver mace for the House of Representatives in 1841.
This mace replaced the original that was destroyed in the War of 1812.

In the picture below are a pitcher and goblets made by him that were presented to Nicholas Dean in 1852.
They can now be found in the museum of New York City.

Best wishes,
Pat.
shelina

Post by shelina »

Thank you so much for the information. I thought this might be a special set. Now I just have to decide what to do with it!

Do you mind if I ask a general question about coin silver? There is a large tureen that is part of this collection that I think may be coin silver as well, however is not marked. How can I tell? Or would it be more appropriate to start another thread with the question? I am trying to learn the board policies, so don't want to make another goof.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

That's a tough question without maker's marks.
I'd suggest posting pictures of the tureen in the American Sterling & Coin Silver - Photo Shy category.

I don't have much experience with coin silver.
Maybe others can help us out.

Pat.
Aguest
contributor

Re: W Adams New York Tea? set I have some questions please?

Post by Aguest »

:::: An example of the work of William Adams. ::::

:::: "The mace is made of 13 thin ebony rods representing the original states. The rods are bound together by the twining silver bands, which are pinned together and held at the top and bottom of the shaft by repoussé silver bands. The inscription “Wm. Adams/Manufacturer/New York/1841” is engraved on the bottom band. A silver globe with an eagle perched on it sits at the top of the mace, with the Western Hemisphere facing front." ::::

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”