Unusual STERLING SILVER Mark on JR Gaunt Badge

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
mtnman1

Unusual STERLING SILVER Mark on JR Gaunt Badge

Post by mtnman1 »

I have been collecting US military aviation insignia for many years. I have run across examples from time to time, of British made insignia made for US pilots, US paratroopers etc. during World War II, which used the simple term "SILVER" or "STERLING SILVER". I read an article one time which is elucidated the fact that this was used from time to time during the war but that was many years ago and I have no way to access or find that article. Can anyone give me insight into this use of the 2 out for mentioned marks in addition to the maker Mark as you will see on this badge I am including pictures of the marks from. I have encountered badges that have the full marks from the assay office and I have encountered badges that have these simpler markings from very reputable makers and I have found badges of excellent design, die stamped, but no maker identification and simply the word SILVER. This badge by JR Gaunt has STERLING SILVER stamped on it in addition to the maker's Mark, on an American badge from World War II. Can anyone give me insight into the use of nonstandard marks at times during World War II and or otherwise?? Thank you so much

PS – forgive me, I tried to post the images by pressing the IMG button but it just put IMG in brackets in my post body. If anyone can help me get the pics of the marks added to my post I would be very happy to add them. But the information I have given sums up the very same thing those marks are going to show you. It is a standard JR Gaunt maker's mark in the correct placement on the back of the badge, proper lettering, everything's great but it has a mark in addition to the maker, which looks just like this in intaglio on the badge:

STERLING
SILVER
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unusual STERLING SILVER Mark on JR Gaunt Badge

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”