Are these marks attributable to Bosworth?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Are these marks attributable to Bosworth?

Post by AllSeasons »

I recently purchased these spoons and just wanted to confirmed on the attribution. The seller attributed these to Howard Bosworth. Here's the entry for Howard Bosworth on sterlingflatwarefashions.com:

One of the sample marks does contain the same 3 pseudo marks; however, "H. BOSWORTH" is not found on these spoons. This leads me to wonder if the 3 pseudo marks are Bosworth's wholesale marks.

I've seen somewhere else (wev's post on another forum) that the arm & hammer is usually attributed to NY, and the buffalo in the middle is attributed to Bosworth. Not sure about the eagle, though, which is probably more common amongst pseudo marks.

My other question has to do with Bosworth's first name. I've seen both Howard and Henry. Howard is on sterlingflatwarefashions.com, which omits Henry; Henry is on americansilversmiths.org, which omits Howard. Are Henry and Howard Bosworth the same person? It seems they both worked in Fredonia, NY.

The images are below. As always, any insight would be appreciated, and thank you in advance.

https://i.ibb.co/YXKPbQX/s-l1601.jpg
wev
contributor

Re: Are these marks attributable to Bosworth?

Post by wev »

As noted on my site, Bosworth was a jeweler and watchmaker, not a manufacturer. In census, directory listings, and his obituary, his given name is Henry, not Howard.

The three wholesale pseudo marks are attributed to John Smith Putnam. They can be found countermarked by many retailers working in the Buffalo area.
AllSeasons

Re: Are these marks attributable to Bosworth?

Post by AllSeasons »

Perfect, thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.

By the way, any thoughts on my other thread about the Gorham goblet?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61399

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”