Silver plates on a 1715 bible

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tungsten

Silver plates on a 1715 bible

Post by Tungsten »

Hello,

I'm looking to identify the maker of the silver plates and clamps on an old bible (1715, printed in Amsterdam). I'm not sure if this is original silver or if it's added to the bible afterwards.

Thanks if anyone has a clue about these silvermarks.

oel
co-admin

Re: Silver plates on a 1715 bible

Post by oel »

Hi Tungsten, welcome to the forum.

Dutch State Bible (Statenbijbel), silver clasps

A shield with four lion’s rampant facing left; the guild city mark of Schoonhoven for 2nd standard silver or ‘kleine keur’ 83.3% pure silver used. Date letter E could be for the year 1714 or 1735 or 1755 or 1778. The maker’s mark a bird facing left in oval shield perhaps for; Jan van Geelen 1760-1792 or for Abraham E. Hoeks 1768-1792, both silversmiths worked during same period and used a bird as their maker's mark, but I am still checking my references and will inform you of the outcome.

Oel
Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

Thanks alot. This is really helpfull information. I'm looking forward to find out if you can find some more information. All eight corner pieces have the same marks. I made some pictures of the inside of the clamps.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )

Any information is more then welcome.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Tungsten,

It has been confirmed by ‘Nederlands Zilver Museum Schoonhoven’; maker’s mark a dove in oval shield. Date letter E for 1778 (in rectangular shield). The city mark with flattened round shield base for 1777, at your image is showing upside down.
Should be turned;

The ‘dove’ maker’s mark has been contributed to: Abraham Eduart Hoek (1768-1793) and to Jan van Geelen 1759/60-1784 (died 1792).
The inscription made on the back of the clasps are reference initials and made by previous owner(s)
Could you please show us an image of the heading of the first bible pages with the title etc? Also are there any handwritten names at the bible page(s).

Thanks for your cooperation.

Reference (catalogus); Zilversmeden van de stad Schoonhoven, ‘duifje’ 113a.

Oel.
Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

Thanks alot for verifying this information.

Here you can see the frontpage of the Bible.

The next page:

There is no handwriting in this bible. It's a really clean copy.
Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

Some more close-ups of the silver plates:

Here I found the letter 'D' instead of 'E'. This one was made one year earlier then (1777)?

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Tungsten,

Yes, one of the silver clasps has been assayed a little earlier. The date letter D stands for 1777.

Oel.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The missing images and new facts

Data: Statenbijbel printed and published in Amsterdam in 1715 by
"H. Burgers, J. van der Putte, J. Pansouder, C. Oterlyk, widow J. van Heekeren,
Ph. Losel, P. Verschuren, booksellers in Compagnie within this city ..concession sheet for the
mentioned Amsterdam booksellers, (in print) signed and dated 14
February 1715 on behalf of the Amsterdam city council by J.Br. Lestevenon,
authorized and originally signed by Reverend Niklaas Wiltens.

Silver book clasp arms, without silver marks, monogrammed insides with different letter style, 'A.P.M.I.V.', and 'C I'. Probably initials of the owner(s).
https://www.statenbijbelmuseum.nl/nl/collectie
New research of these year letters D and E and the maker’s mark a bird revealed new facts.
Letter D for Schoonhoven, year 1734, letter E for Schoonhoven, year 1735.
Maker’s mark a bird. We believe the bird to be a standing Jackdaw, a type of small crow. In Dutch this bird’s name is called Kauw, or popularly called Ka.
In the 18th century, Schoonhoven records show, there has been a silversmith active by the name of Anthony van der Kaa, who started between 1725-1729 and died in 1747, his maker’s mark was unknown. New research attributes this bird mark being a Ka or Jackdaw to Anthony van der Kaa.

For all images and the whole story in Dutch see;
Nieuwe Zilvermerken Statenbijbel, Amsterdam 1715. Zilveren beslag van ‘een vreemde vogel’ uit Schoonhoven.
https://zilverhistograaf.nl/zh/wp-conte ... cember.pdf

Peter.

Return to “Dutch Silver”