No idea on this silver spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

No idea on this silver spoon

Post by hpidaves »

My best guess on this 5-5/8" spoon is Swedish solid silver, not sure on percentage of silver. But really, I have no idea if I'm right. There is just one partial mark on the reverse of the handle near the tip. There is a monogram.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: No idea on this silver spoon

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my asking, but what makes you think it is Swedish? The shape of the shield, or? In my eyes nothing indicates Sweden or any other Nordic country. Moreover, why do you think it is silver? Have you tested it?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: Switzerland is my best guess & it does appear to be silver to my eyes at least. ::::
:::: Switzerland has a history of "shield cartouches" & the cursive monogram reminds me of other Swiss silver spoons :::::
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Here my generic statement: Swiss spoons usually have the mark in the middle of the stem, not at the end. I am not saying there are no exeptions, but I do not have a Swiss feeling with this poor spoon.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: I thought that as well which is why at first I thought it had to be from Germany, but no hallmarks matched up ::::
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

As I mentioned, I had no good idea where to list this spoon. I chose Sweden only because of the horizontal ridge lines in the hallmark. I am fairly certain it is solid silver based upon look and feel.
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, believe that Germany certainly is a possibility. Shape of the spoon, placing of the mark - this could fit. Does Apolda not have a city mark like that ? Let us wait for Theo to see this. Regards, Bahner

Return to “Other Countries”