Alvin sterling S91-1 teapot - real or fake?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Alvin sterling S91-1 teapot - real or fake?

Post by AllSeasons »

I just purchased an Alvin sterling S91-1 teapot. I'm having some misgivings, due to the heavy weight of the teapot. The seller is very confident that it weighs 44 ounces, which is very heavy for a teapot. It's marked 2 3/4 pints on the bottom, which translates into 44 fluid ounces. I asked him about that, and he said that it weighs 44 ounces on his digital scale. I also found the same model teapot on Etsy, and it says that it weighs 672 grams, or just over 22 ounces, which is still a good weight, but more in line with teapots of this size. The teapot is 10 1/4 inches tall, and 10 inches wide (including the spout and handle).

Further, I noticed in one of the images that there appears to be a white ring on the bottom, around the hallmarks. So my paranoia is telling me that the hallmarks may have been soldered on. However, I did not see a solder ring on the inside of the teapot. The style of the teapot checks out for this model, as far as I could tell, since I found other images of the same model on the internet. But the white ring bothers me a bit.

So I guess my questions are:
  • Are the hallmarks themselves legit? They appear to be, as far as I could tell, but just wanted to make sure.
  • Does the bottom containing the hallmarks appear to be soldered on?
  • If everything else checks out, does the weight appear correct?
I paid good fiat money for this, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Here're the images. Thank you in advance.

silverly

Re: Alvin sterling S91-1 teapot - real or fake?

Post by silverly »

As far as the trademark and sterling mark are concerned, they don't give me any cause for concern.
AllSeasons

Re: Alvin sterling S91-1 teapot - real or fake?

Post by AllSeasons »

Thank you. I guess I may need to wait till I receive the teapot to get the other two questions answered. 'Tis the joys of online shopping.

Cheers!

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”