Pls help with Maker's Mark on Imperial Russia (Riga) Ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TBaubledP

Pls help with Maker's Mark on Imperial Russia (Riga) Ring

Post by TBaubledP »

Greetings! I am hoping someone here might be able to identify a maker's mark on a possible Imperial Russian ring. I have identified the 56 Zolotnik stamp to belong to Riga Assay Master Климент Аникиевич Загаевский from 1899-1918. The stamp style I *believe* limits it further to 1899- 1908. I have scoured through Postnikova-Loseva carefully for anything resembling "JW" in Latin letters -and- inverted the stamp into Cyrillic МГ and МП, all to no avail. Unfortunately these are the only 2 stamps present. The "smearing" at the far side of the maker's stamp makes me think it is possible the ring was resized at some point and another stamp could have been present on the opposite side and then lost, but that is conjecture at best. As it stands, this is a huge red flag to me that the stamps are not authentic and would greatly appreciate any feedback. I cannot seem to get a clearer photo to save my life so I hope these are sufficient enough! Thank you so much!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Pls help with Maker's Mark on Imperial Russia (Riga) Ring

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The ring is authentic and it was not resized because there are pearls; hard soldering at very high temperature and acid pickling would have destroyed the pearls.
Regards
TBaubledP

Re: Pls help with Maker's Mark on Imperial Russia (Riga) Ring

Post by TBaubledP »

Hi! Not to be contrary, but one of my antique jewelers absolutely can and does resize seed pearl jewelry without issue so I personally don't feel comfortable deeming this as authentic based on that alone. I'm hoping someone might be able to recognize the maker's mark to help validate it as authentic (or not) to the time and location. Alternately, if there is another clue I am missing that leads you to this conclusion, I would love to hear it; I greatly appreciate your assistance!

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”