Early Makers mark with anchor- not Birmingham?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
alchemya

Early Makers mark with anchor- not Birmingham?

Post by alchemya »

Hello,

This is my first post, so I very much appreciate any help.

I'm trying to track down this makers mark. Its clearly a T and then an H/M/N flanking an anchor.

It's meant to be circa 1675- would an anchor pre-1773 still tie to Birmingham?

Any assistance is very welcome and appreciated!

Best,

Bates

[url=https://imgbb.com/]Image
oel
co-admin

Re: Early Makers mark with anchor- not Birmingham?

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum. Are there no other marks, only one mark? If this is the only mark, it is indeed a maker' s mark. Why do you think it is made in Britain (Birmingham)?
Please show us an image of the whole object and tell us some more about its provenance.

Peter.
alchemya

Post by alchemya »

Thank you!

It is the only mark- I was trying to tease out whether the fact that it predates the Birmingham assay mark by 100 years roughly would have an impact. Basically, would an anchor still likely be a reference to a maker in Birmingham?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The image of the whole object might be of great help.
Regards
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

David M Mitchell in his book Silversmiths in Elizabethan and Stuart London references a mark TH, anchor between, in a shield, as possibly being attributed to Thomas Hughes (free 1662, died before April 1678). However, without a photo of the whole of the object this attribution must remain speculative.
The anchor within the makers mark has no connection to the Birmingham Assay office.
Regards.
alchemya

Post by alchemya »

trevorg wrote:David M Mitchell in his book Silversmiths in Elizabethan and Stuart London references a mark TH, anchor between, in a shield, as possibly being attributed to Thomas Hughes (free 1662, died before April 1678). However, without a photo of the whole of the object this attribution must remain speculative.
The anchor within the makers mark has no connection to the Birmingham Assay office.
Regards.
Thank you! Here's the piece:

alchemya

Post by alchemya »

They sold at Sotheby's a number of years ago:

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Believe it to be a silver seal box.

Peter.
alchemya

Post by alchemya »

trevorg wrote:David M Mitchell in his book Silversmiths in Elizabethan and Stuart London references a mark TH, anchor between, in a shield, as possibly being attributed to Thomas Hughes (free 1662, died before April 1678). However, without a photo of the whole of the object this attribution must remain speculative.
Regards.
I'm going to try to swing by the library- Thank you so much!
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

Sold by Sothebys on 23rd November 2014 together with a further similar box and a nutmeg grater which were listed by the auction house as Charles II circa 1675. The attribution from Mitchell of Thomas Hughes appears to be a likely candidate although this is based on the supposition that a mark of TH in monogram in a heart shaped shield belonged to a Thomas Harris. This is where things get murky as both were free in succeeding years and both appeared to have died in 1675 but neither mark has been positively attributed to either of them. It is unlikely therefore that we will be able to confidently attribute this mark to one of them. That said they are nice items that would enhance any collection.
Regards.
alchemya

Post by alchemya »

trevorg wrote:Sold by Sothebys on 23rd November 2014 together with a further similar box and a nutmeg grater which were listed by the auction house as Charles II circa 1675. The attribution from Mitchell of Thomas Hughes appears to be a likely candidate although this is based on the supposition that a mark of TH in monogram in a heart shaped shield belonged to a Thomas Harris. This is where things get murky as both were free in succeeding years and both appeared to have died in 1675 but neither mark has been positively attributed to either of them. It is unlikely therefore that we will be able to confidently attribute this mark to one of them. That said they are nice items that would enhance any collection.
Regards.
I linked to the auction but it seems that went against posting guidelines? My apologies- I'm new!
alchemya

Post by alchemya »

Regards.

This was tremendously helpful, I don't have this edition but just purchased!
trevorg
contributor

Post by trevorg »

Probably one of the most informative books I have read on early English silver. A great purchase.
Enjoy!

Return to “British Hallmarks - Single Image”