Newbie Needs Help With Hallmark -- Please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mfraser1964

Newbie Needs Help With Hallmark -- Please

Post by mfraser1964 »

Help anyone! I have NO idea what I'm doing here. Please and thank you!

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=75 ... 9462253018
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Newbie Needs Help With Hallmark -- Please

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

We encourage posters to embed their pictures in posts as not everybody is happy to open pictures by clicking on links. In addition a picture hosting site where images are liable to persist for a reasonable length of time is preferred. https://postimages.org is recommended (click 'Share', then copy and paste the 'Hotlink for forums' code to embed your images). Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

If you haven't done so already have a look at our Posting Requirements.

Phil
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello. I've had a look. Do please post it for everybody to see. You will get a answer. Every "silverphile" in the USA will be interested to see the mark and the broken utensil.

Fishless UK
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Marks are on broken knife blade.
They look like British pseudo marks, but I may be wrong.
There is no town mark and the maker`s mark of this form is unknown to me.
Regards
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello again, our forum has the "H.D" mark attributed to "Henry Dennery" of New York circa 1810-20. It is possible the evidence for this is not overwhelming. There is another reference on line of the same marks on a butter knife, and another post on Forum but with lost images. What AG2012 said about the marks is true. They are a set of silver marks that mimic British hallmarks of the early 19th century. They are found commonly on 19th century Canadian and USA silver as well other "countries" where their was a British influence with maybe British money to buy silver items. People tend to buy what they are familiar with.

Fishless
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Appart from lion passant, duty mark only vagualy resembles early 19th century British monarchs.
What was intented to be date letter does not match the form of major British offices at the time (the closest is Chester 1802).
All said,it is most likely overseas. Regretfully, we seldom find full information of whereabouts and provenance : even if silver travels in miraculous ways, there is difference if the knife was metal detected in America, Australia or elsewhere.
Regards

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”