DB on a Bright Cut Table Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

DB on a Bright Cut Table Spoon

Post by paulh »

This is an ordinary bright cut table spoon, but all of my searches cannot trace the maker. It is “DB” struck twice, with a crossed downstroke on the “D” Any ideas anyone?

Aguest
contributor

Re: DB on a Bright Cut Table Spoon

Post by Aguest »

Is it an "LB" or a "DB" because there are possibilities from Cape Town:

"Most probably the son of Lodewyck Christiaan Willem Beck and Woutrina Catharina de Vos. Known activity as jeveller or goldsmith/jeweller from 1847 to 1867 Cape Colony 1850 c. hallmark"

or

"DB
The illegitimate son of Balthus Wilhelm Beets of Neubrandenburg and Angana of the Cape. Married Anna Maria Petronella Bedeker in 1794. Documented activity as silversmith from 1812 to 1828
Cape Colony 1820 c. hallmark"

You would be better able to compare the spoon with these Cape Town hallmarks, I can't make a definitive conclusion because the hallmark is worn on your spoon or maybe the punch is just worn down so the details aren't as crisp ::::

Also if you have a pic of the part where the underneath of the bowl meets the underneath of the shaft it might be possible to better date the spoon. ::::
It seems like 1812-1828 (working dates for DB of Cape Town) matches the form of the spoon but the spoon could be earlier and the construction of the "drop" of the spoon might help to better put a date on the spoon. :::
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Hello Aguest,

Thank you for your response. I did consider Daniel Beets, but the “D” on this spoon is very distinctive and does not match any examples of his punch which I have seen. He was also working rather later than the style of spoon would suggest. Although style in colonial silver cannot really be dated along the lines of English fashion.

The punch is definitely worn, as can be seen by the distortion recurring at the top of the initials on both strikes. It is possible therefor that the examples in Stephan Welz’s book are of later replacement punches.

The joint on the back of the spoon is a simple union joint, so no real clues there. I have looked at all manner of colonial silver; Cape, Australian, Indian, Canadian etc, also British and Irish provincial, but have not yet found an exact match. I might just have to put it in the “unsolved mysteries” file until something materialises.

Paul.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Yes I agree. ::: The upright stroke of the "D" looks more like a few Channel Islands Silversmiths because of that little wiggle in the middle of the upright stroke. ::: That's why at first I thought it was Channel Islands related. ::: In a private collection I have seen a triple-stamped symbol that looked like a British Pound symbol like a stylized "L" with a little wiggle in the middle of the letter, and I assumed that spoon to be a duty-dodger, so maybe this is just a duty-dodger who is imitating a provincial hallmark just close enough such that he won't get in trouble :::: Deceiving all of us after 200+ years. ::::
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

I know what you mean about the Channel Islands. I do have a C. I. spoon with that crossed L. A duty dodger is a possibility.
CBH-Va

Post by CBH-Va »

Do consider the American silversmith Daniel Brabant, son of silversmith Isaac Brabant (d1763/4 GA).
Your DB mark is identical to one attributed to Daniel Brabant (d1800) of Savannah, GA c1764+ and Beaufort, SC 1778-c1800 as published recently in my "Hidden Treasures:Re-Assessing South Carolina Silversmiths to 1861" page 74, (published November 2022). Even the same wear to the top. Several pieces with this mark are identified including three ladles (14-1/4", 13-1/2", 9-1/2 ") and several spoons (9-1/4", 8-1/2", 8-1/4") and three others of sizes not identified--several with Georgia and South Carolina provenances.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi CBA-Va,
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your contribution with source reference, much appreciated.

Peter.

Return to “Provincial & Colonial Marks”