Help to identify gold snuffbox's marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Chiara

Help to identify gold snuffbox's marks

Post by Chiara »

Hello to all,

I am looking to identify hallmarks on a gold snuffbox. This snuffbox seems to be dated 1817, as written on the lid. It was given to Captain Alexander Nairne by his crew as a sign of esteem and thanks. I have two main questions about the hallmarks on this snuffbox.

It is possible to find a reproduction of this box in very high definition by following this link:https://collections.st-andrews.ac.uk/item/box/762573
I am only attaching the link because it gives access to a reproduction of extremely good quality and better than the images I could attach as screen shots, which unfortunately are slightly blurred. Just click on the link to access the snuffbox. At the bottom left is written "view image(s)". By clicking on it, three images will appear allowing to observe the box in detail. The hallmarks are on the bottom of the box (middle image).

1. I have tried to analyse the hallmarks myself as best I could. If anyone could confirm that my interpretations are correct, or tell me what is wrong, that would be great!
- The man in profile is George III, this indicates the tax of the item was paid
- The lion was stamped on all silver work, so it suggests that the box is an alloy of gold and silver.
- The crown is traditionally used to symbolize gold, coupled with the 18, it would mean "18 carats".
- The capital T may refer to the year 1816 in the Sheffield hallmark system. This seems consistent, as the box appears to date from 1817, as indicated by the last line on the box lid (plus I understood the year of marking begins on May 19 in the UK, on the feast of St. Dunstan, the patron saint of gold and silversmiths. One can imagine that the object was produced between January and May 1817, but that it still bears the mark of 1816).

2. There is a isolated "A", which seems to be the maker's mark. It is possible that a worn punch was used and that this hallmark lacks an other letter. Does anyone has an idea of what this isolated "A" could be?

Any help would be warmly welcome!

I thank you for your attention and remain at your disposal for any further information.

Chiara
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help to identify gold snuffbox's marks

Post by dognose »

Hi Chiara,

Welcome to the Forum.

There are a few anomalies to be found in this set of marks, but overall I believe you have an 18ct gold box assayed at London in 1814-5.

I think that there is little doubt that this box was London-made, and although it lacks a London mark, I think that is the place of origin. The later inscription is of no surprise, a box of this quality, unless especially made to order, would have to wait a period of time to find a buyer.

The anomalies in the marks, besides the lack of a town mark, are the presence of the Lion Passant, which, at the time, would have been the mark for 22ct gold, as well as sterling silver. The maker's mark is also somewhat odd as it appears to be struck with a damaged punch, and not just worn as you can see when comparing it with its twin with the secondary marks struck on the lid.

How long has it been in the possession of the museum?

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The box is very complex; possibly both 22 and 18 carats were used and marked accordingly.
If I am not mistaken there are two colors of gold.
Soft 22 ct is better for casting and chasing fine details, 18ct is more durable for rolling.
Or long tradition of having lion passant on gold items (since1544) was still too deeply rooted less than two decades after 18 ct and the crown were introduced (1798).
Just an idea how to explain both lion passant for 22 ct and the crown for 18 ct, because both marks were still in use at the time i.e. until 1844.
Made (and engraved ?) in London and given in Calcutta by East India Company; amazing.
Regards
Chiara

Post by Chiara »

Hello,

Many thanks for your answer, this is so helpful!! It's really nice that you took the time to answer me and give me so many details and explanation.
The box belonged to Captain Alexander Nairne, then passed to his children, then grandchildren. His grandson, also named Alexander Nairne and a professor at Cambridge bequeathed it to the University of St. Andrews in 1932. A record of the donation is to be found in the Dundee Courier Archive ("It was also agreed that the Court thank the Rev. Canon Alexander Nairne D. D. Emeritus Professor of Divinity in the UNiversity of Cambridge, and Canon of ST. George's Chapel, Windsor, and honorary graduate of the University, for his gift of a beautifully chased gold box which had been presented in 1817 to his grandfather, Captain Alexander Nairne of the General Kyd, by the crew of the ship as a mark of their esteem.")

I have just two last questions:
1. What makes you say that the snuffbox was made in London, are there any recognisable features?
2. What makes you think that the snuffbox was given in Calcutta by East India Compagny?

Many thanks!

Chiara
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Captain Alexander Nairne was born in 1785.He was the son of Reverend James Nairne and Helen Kyd.He married Anne Spencer Domett, daughter of Captain Nathaniel Domett, in 1824.He died in 1866.
He gained the rank of Captain in the Royal Navy.He was in the Honourable East India Company Service.
The engraving says Calcutta.

Regarding London, Trev will offer better answer.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

To me, the quality of the work screams London.

Only London, Chester and Exeter were using at date letter 'T' around this time, and little gold was assayed by the provincial offices, and in this case, we are blessed with a valuable clue.

Note the cartouches surrounding the two struck letters 'T' and how they differ on the base line. These are the very two known to have been used on gold at London 1814-15. Fortunately for us, the marker choose, probably quite by chance, two different punches.

Trev.
Chiara

Post by Chiara »

Thank you very much for your answers and for all these details! Everything is clearer now, and it helps me a lot. I am very grateful.

With my most sincere thanks,

Chiara

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”