Austrian mark on a gold locket

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lucy123

Austrian mark on a gold locket

Post by lucy123 »

The mark is a left facing horse head with a letter W . When I purchased it I was told it's an antique dated to the 1900s. But based on the mark I don't think it's that old. I did some research but still didn't get a clear answer. Some sources say the mark was used for 14k gold following the breakup of Austro-Hungarian Empire between 1922 to 1927 . Some others say this mark was used after 1925. I'm sure this is a mark for 14K but unable to determine the time period of this locket. If this mark have been used since 1925, this locket could be made anytime between 1925 to present ? I'd appreciate it if someone could help give an approximate time period. Thanks!
lucy123

Re: Austrian mark on a gold locket

Post by lucy123 »

Here are the pictures:

Front of the locket

Mark on the locket:

Same mark found online
AG2012
contributor

Re: Austrian mark on a gold locket

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
My 14 Kt hold and lapis lazuli pendant with horse`s head and letter A for Vienna was discussed here:
Bear`s head for 14Kt gold was used from May 1922 to 1925 when it was replaced with horse`s head and letter ``W`` for Vienna. The mark n my pendant is horse`s head but there is letter ``A``, reminiscent of old marks with letter A for Vienna assay office in The Empore. Even the right side of the mark is slightly different to accommodate the letter. It must have been used for a very short time. Besides, gold made between 1922 and 1925 with bear`s head is very scarce and I have never seen whether it was letter A or letter W.
All said, your locket was made after 1925.

Regards

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”