BARBOT, John (Grimwade p.430, 736)

Moderators: MCB, buckler, silverly

MCB

BARBOT, John (Grimwade p.430, 736)

Post by MCB »

His father James’s Will, written on a sea voyage in 1703, records he was a merchant. His father died in Maryland, USA.The Will was proved in the UK in 1719 naming his wife as Mary and his last address as St Margaret parish, London.
As a silversmith from St Giles fields John paid Duty in 1724 for the apprentice indentures of John Rolfe.
The christening in 1727 of Jean, the son of Jean and Rachel Barbot, was recorded both at Rider Court French Huguenot Church, London and at St Anne, Soho, London.
The christening in 1735 of Elizabeth Rachel, the daughter of Jean and Rachel Barbot, was recorded at Hungerford Marker French Huguenot Church, Castle Street, London.
MCB

Re: BARBOT, John (Grimwade p.430, 736)

Post by MCB »

The Will of John Barbot, late goldsmith and jeweller of St Giles in the Fields, was proved for probate on 30th April 1766 (National Archives reference PROB 11/917/448).
silverly

Post by silverly »

March 17, 1748 John Barbot St Giles Field silversmith paid apprentice indenture duty for John son of Ann Rose.
silverly

Post by silverly »

20 November 1726 John Barbot of the Parish of Saint Giles in ye Fields Midds married Rachel Jorden of the Parish of Saint Faiths London at Saint Andrew Holborn Camden.
Anne Nathan

Post by Anne Nathan »

I'm not sure if anyone is still interested, but I've finally got around to doing it. Transcription of John Barbot's will PROB 11/917/448. Could have some transcription errors. The actual will can be downloaded for free at the moment at https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... s/r/D33796

In the name of God amen, I John Barbot of the parish of St Giles in the Fields in the County of Middlesex, Goldsmith and Jeweller, of perfect mind and memory, praise to God for it but considering the uncertainty of this life, do make and ordain this my last will and testament in memory and form following (that is to say) First I commit my body to the earth to be decently and not expensively interred at the discretion of my executors as under named.

And as to my worldly estate with which it hath pleased God to bless me with, after paying my just debts funeral and all necessary expenses attending it, I give and bequeath in the manner and form following (that is to say) - First I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Rachael Babot for her natural life in case she remains my widow but not any longer, the lawful interest of three thousand pounds (being part of my present srock in trade jointly with my son Paul Barbot) and it is my will that the said sum of three thousand pounds as above mentioned should remain in my son Paul's possession during the course of his mother's the said Rachael Barbot's life xxx the consideration of his the said Paul Barbot only paying her the said Rachael Barbot the lawful interest quarterly of the sum before herein mentioned and after the decease of the said Rachael Barbot, the said sum of three thousand pounds now stock in trade sole property for ever .

Item I give and bequeath to my daughter Louisa the sum of 321 pounds and likewise I give my daughter Frances 321 pounds being in consideration of making them equal with my other five children who have already received their marriage portions.

Item I give my sister Louisa Lassere one hundred pounds. Item I give my brother James Barbot one hundred pounds, the said sum of two hundred pounds to be deposited in my son's Paul Barbot’s hands for their use, paying them the lawful interest and whatever of the principal they may have occasion for to be paid them quarterly, and if any of the sum of 200 pounds remains in the hands of my executors unpaid at the decease of the said Louisa Lassere and James Barbot such part to be the sole property of my brother in law Mr Anthony Lassere in case he survives them, the said Louisa Lassere and James Barbot.

Item I give to the trustees of the free school of St Giles's in the Fields for the use of the charity children ten guineas. Item I give to the trustees of the French charity school in Windmill Street Tottenham Court Road for the use of the charity children ten guineas. Item I give the sum of 30 guineas to be distributed at the discretion of my executors amongst the poor French Protestants.

Lastly I give the remainder of the lease of my house in Great St Andrew Street to my son Paul Barbot upon consideration of his paying 100 pounds for the same and as it is not my intention to distress my son Paul Barbot in his business nor otherwise I do hereby declare it to be my will and intention that the said Paul Barbot shall not upon any consideration be obliged to pay after the demise of my wife the said Rachael Barbot more than one thousand pounds per annum till the full sum now stock in trade of three thousand pounds is all paid and whatever sum or sums of money appear to be unlawful property at the time of my decease (after paying the Legacies as herein mentioned) all to be equally divided after the decease of my beloved wife the said Rachael Barbot, amongst my seven children as herein specified. I also name constitute and appoint my son Paul and daughter Louisa Barbot executors of this my last will and testament. And I do hereby revoke disannul and make void all and all manner of former wills or will testament or testaments by me at any time before made or declared either by word or writing and do publish and declare this my only last will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal. London January the twenty third in the year of our Lord 1766 in the presence of us John barbot, William Johnson, Thomas Hitchman

This will was proved at London the thirtieth day of April 1766 ........ by the oaths of Paul Barbot the son and Louise Barbot spinster the daughter of the deceased ......

Written in the margin.

To be equally divided amongst all the children of the forsaid Rachael Barbot’s body, viz Paul, Mary, Elizabeth, Louisa, Judith, Francis & Susanna, but in case any of the said children as above mentioned should not outlive their mother the said Rachael Barbot then such share or shares to be equally divided amongst the children of his or her body. The interest of such shares to be paid for the use of these children to their father or fathers till such time as they the said children shall be of age, at which time they shall have full power to receive their share or shares of my executors. I further give to my wife the said Rachael Barbot all my household goods plate linen & jewels during her life, at her decease the said household goods plate linen and jewels to be the sole property of my two daughters now unmarried viz Louisa & Francis in case they or which ever of them remain unmarried until their mother’s decease the said Rachael Barbot, otherwise if they both marry before the demise of their said mother these household goods plate linen jewe to be equally divided amongst all my children as before noted. Item I give my son Paul Barbot all my working tools to be his
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Anne,

Many thanks for adding the above information, it's very much appreciated.

Trev.
Mark Joyce

Post by Mark Joyce »

Jean Barbot is my wifes 7th generational great grandfather, he has left such a trail of beautiful physical objects and documents, but Im just wondering how we might go back further, to Huguenot histories, would he be related to the earlier Jean Barbot who wrote accounts of West Africa?

Return to “Grimwade's Biographies ~ Updates”