help with marking on candle holders

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
bmantle07

help with marking on candle holders

Post by bmantle07 »

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to who made these candle holders. Any info would be much appreciated!

Traintime
contributor

Re: help with marking on candle holders

Post by Traintime »

Not much to go on with what visibly remains of that picto-mark on the left, but maybe compare it to one of the Indian head profiles in the International Silver lineage (?): https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver__Icon.html
bmantle07

Post by bmantle07 »

Yea I know its really hard when the hallmark is barely visible. I just wish I knew a time period or anything haha. But either way thank you very much for the response!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Still can't believe my eyes, but I think I've located an advertisement on the site which shows your candlesticks as reproductions in 1899 taken from a sample in a collection...historical throwbacks. Look to scroll down on Page 7 of Souvenir Spoons under The Connecticut Spoon heading on the left side of the ad: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=33758&start=120
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Attributed to George H. Ford Company, New Haven Connecticut. (No known mark, yet.)
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

George Hare Ford bio notes (thanks to redirection link at Stein Marks): http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~silversm ... 146031.htm
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Apparently, in silver & jewelry, the George H. Ford Company was organized in 1891: https://books.google.com/books?id=AOw1A ... 20&f=false

He is known to retail Gorham. Is an importer of some watches. Holds title of General. Impeccable reputation, business & social leader, and agitator for proper stamping standards of quality. Known mark is full name block letters (retailer style) stamp. So, he might not be the maker here, but the work is expected to be soundly sourced. Died in 1920's. No clear report on end date of firm.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

An image of George Hare Ford, president of The Ford Company, goldsmiths and silversmiths of New Haven, Connecticut:

This image is from 1915.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Traintime wrote:....So, he might not be the maker here, but the work is expected to be soundly sourced. Died in 1920's. No clear report on end date of firm.
In 1917 he was recorded by the State of Connecticut Military Census Agent as a Merchant with no experience in any other trade, profession or occupation. He had been a Commissary General-Brigadier General in the Connecticut National Guard. He is listed in directories in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century as the President of The George H Ford Company, and in 1918 he is listed as the President of Cellini Mfg Co. He died in 1923.
silverly

Post by silverly »

An advertisement in the 1901 Yale Banner:

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”