Perfume/aftershave/ink bottle?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

This rather chunky bottle is 9cm high and was made in Birmingham in 1905. The glass stopper will remind you of scent bottles, but this is far to big. I'd like to know if this is the petrol station from which the little bottles would be filled, or if it might be for aftershave (the stopper being suited to a larger application area). I've also seen a similar jar called an inkwell.

Any thoughts?

Miles

ImageImage
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Miles,
I'm unsure of when shaving sticks were developed, but I suspect this jar may just be for that purpose,
Trev.
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

This bottle contained styptic, used in the days of straight razors to staunch bleeding from accidental nicks. Scent/ink bottles have narrow necks to reduce spillage.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thankyou both very much. Do you think it's likely that the stopper was used to apply the styptic/astringent?

Miles
kerangoumar
contributor

Post by kerangoumar »

Styptic came in sticks - or pencils, as some refer to it - so if you cut yourself you'd quickly grab the stick and dab at the cut. The stopper was to keep out the humidity, as styptic is anhydrous (water free) aluminum sulphate.
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Post by frenchie_myriam »

Hi Miles,

This could well be a travel inkwell part of a vanity. Being a silver inkwell and dip pen collector, I have seen quite a lot of then. The only thing which is disturbing is the stopper.

Please tell me the maker hallmark and I should be able to confirm or not ( picture not clear enough to find out who made it )

Best regards
Myriam
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

The maker is S Blackensee & Sons ltd.

Miles
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Hi Miles,

Then it is certainly a travel inkwell part of a vanity set. S.Blanckensee has produced loads of inkwells mainly plain silver capstan inkwells as well as enamel and silver inkwells. and glass and silver inkwells. I have 32 inkwells by s.Blanckensee.

Hope this has helped

Best regards
Myriam
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Hi Myriam,

Do you happen to have any old catalogues which show this type of inkwell or do you have one in your collection?

Miles
frenchie_myriam
contributor

Dear Miles,

Sorry I do not have any catalogue and as I do not collect the travel inkwells I have none. If you wish, I can send you pictures of other types of inkwells produced by S. BLANCKENSEE.

Please let me know

Best Regards
Myriam

Return to “Mystery Objects”