Unidentified maker's mark on Hermès powder box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
franzmovi

Unidentified maker's mark on Hermès powder box

Post by franzmovi »

Hello!

I'm approaching you to show you a maker's mark I haven't been able to identify on a lovely Hermès powder box. I hope there might be someone who finds it interesting and might help me find it.

Thanks in advance.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Unidentified maker's mark on Hermès powder box

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
There are too many J.C. (or is it J.G. ?) makers to identify without knowing the symbol between the letters.
What is it ?
What makes you think it is Hermes,Paris ?
Regards
franzmovi

Post by franzmovi »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
There are too many J.C. (or is it J.G. ?) makers to identify without knowing the symbol between the letters.
What is it ?
What makes you think it is Hermes,Paris ?
Regards
Unfortunately I haven't been able to take better photos on this maker's mark. I read it as "JT" instead of JC or JG. I just can't figure out what the figure in the middle is. It looks like a compass (the drawing tool), but I'm not sure.

The powder box has a Hermès piece of sheet behind the mirror. I've seen different sealed Hermès boxes and it seems like mine is.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello
Here is my input on your nécessaire de beauté with a powder compact and integrated lipstick case. These items first began to appear in France after WW I, as women became more emancipated. At one time they were very chic objects.
Suggest you consider this entry in the French Ministry of Culture website for Paris makers registered after 1878 for a manufacturing jeweller named Jean Gourdon:

http://www2.culture.gouv.fr/public/mist ... 50&DOM=All

Unfortunately there is no image of the mark, but the symbol is a compass.

I have no opinion about the Hermès connection.

Good luck as you continue your research on this object!

Return to “French Silver”