Table Snuff Box - Marks seem to be German, maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
emptguy

Table Snuff Box - Marks seem to be German, maker?

Post by emptguy »

Hello again forum.

I have a silver table snuff box with London import marks and what I assume are German marks on the base. Can you help me please?

The Import Marks on the inner rim show 800 grade, the Leopards head for London and the importer which seems to be EC. That importer's mark is incredibly small, around 1 mm high. I've looked at it through two lenses and that's the best I can make out.

The Marks on the base are much clearer and well struck. The picture below is of one set of 3 marks which I have doubled up and rotated so you don't have to stand on your head to read the initials A.M.S

As always I look forward to your expert analysis.

Ian T
Bahner
contributor

Re: Table Snuff Box - Marks seem to be German, maker?

Post by Bahner »

Hello, a half moon seems to be missing here, which makes me wonder. This would not have happened to a German maker. The 800 was punched in an oval once, which looks like an Italian mark. Maybe what we have here is a set of Italian pseudo marks on a piece in Hanau style silver. Regards, Bahner.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Are we looking at a recently made item?

I'm not too familiar with modern UK hallmarking, but to me, the top set looks like the minimum set of marks (sponsor, standard, assay office, the date letter and Lion Passant now being optional), should marking be required for, in this case, for export, as the standard is 800/1000.

The thoughts of others, as to whether I'm correct, would be appreciated.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The use of special town marks for imported items was discontinued from 1 January 1999 by the Hallmarking Act Amendment Regulations 1998, leaving only the traditional town marks (e.g.the leopard for London),so that there was no longer any distinction in hallmarking made between items made in the UK and those made abroad.
The assay offices have taken this as an opportunity to expand their business by promoting the hallmarking of items made outside the UK with traditional British hallmarks, and some have even opened offices abroad.
Sheffield were the first assay office to mark offshore in Italy.The London assay office hallmarks at Heathrow, products taken straight off flights,while they are in customs.
Regards
emptguy

Post by emptguy »

Hello all and thank you for your comments.

With regards the import marks, I appreciate the comments suggesting a later date of manufacture. The reason I think it's early is because it's made in relatively thick gauge silver and I've found with more modern pieces and manufacturing techniques that finer gauge silver is often used. In fact this piece was purchased together with another of similar style, scale and weight which is most definitely early 20th century Hanau. I suppose though someone copying the style might go the extra mile. Does the import sponsor EC help in ageing it?

As for the marks on the base I must admit I was a little dubious of the country of original as yes indeed, the crescent moon is missing next to the crown. I just couldn't find a single crown anywhere else signifying a country of origin. I also wondered if the badge shaped shield in which the initials are shown might suggest a country of origin. I think that's probably clutching at straws though.

I appreciate your input and will continue to investigate where I can.

Best Regards,

Ian T
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

What I would do with extra spare time available:
Because it is definitively London import leopard's head - open London makers marks and search all possibilities with the initials.Btw.I am not sure about EC(possibly even three letters).Explore, at least for dating.
Regards

Return to “German Silver”