Prague 1837 tobacco case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AG2012
contributor

Prague 1837 tobacco case

Post by AG2012 »

Tobacco case,13 Loth,maker AD in Prague,Austria-Hungary Empire,1837.
Unknown maker and mysterious symbolism.
Who is in the middle? A vague resemblance to Ferdinand I of Austria who was coronated in Prague 1836,but could be an ancient personality.
Left: Pegasus,the horse of Muses,liberated (broken chains),Lyre (music,poetry or art in general),grape keg (old Venetian word brenta) and unknown staff,wand,wooden crutch.
Right: Laurel wreath,thermometer (barometer),carpenter plane,scepter,crown among the snakes.
Help and ideas appreciated.

huszas76
contributor

Re: Prague 1837 tobacco case

Post by huszas76 »

The maker is Anton (Antonin) Dörr. 1807-1871
Learned at MAtyas Kral. Marriage in 1833 to KArolina Wankeova.
Best regards!
Krisztián
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi

I still think this is not Ferdinand I of Austria but his Father, Francis I (II).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_I ... an_Emperor
My reasoning is as follows:
When the case was made Ferdinand was alive. In 1837 it was fashionable to depict contemporary people in an mythological Environment. But I have not seen this for people alive. (Except some Pictures from Bismarck 50 to 70 years later… but usually as teutonic knight).
I conclud the Person depicted by the bust was not alive. Additionally, the bust wears a laurel wreath, this was strictly for somebody who won something, usually a battle or a war, (or a cometition…). I do not think Ferdinand won anything up to 1837.
The style of the bust is Roman, narrowing the search to a famous Roman Person or a 1837 contemporary but late Person. Scrolling through the standard portraits of the Roman Emperors you do not find a match. It could be one of the famous roman poets (Ovid, Horace, Vergil...) but all this is unlikely considering the modern scientistic instruments.
I still think we can find an explaination for all items on the case considering Francis I (II).

What do you think?

Kind regards

Jörg
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Looking at the two Pictures left an right as a whole, not dealing with Details, I notice the aureola, the rays. The top triumphant over the Bottom items. Right on the Bottom a crown and basilisks, representing monarchy, despotism, over which science and artisans are triumphant.
Left, the keg representing the (uneducated) peasantry over which music and Poetry are triumphant.

Just an idea…

Regards

Jörg
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Thank you,Joerg,for taking time to help.I think you are right about the emperor in the middle.
I found two marble busts of Francis II in Vienna by sculptors A.Dietrich and C.Pacetti (laurel wreath and apparent similarity).
Thanks again and stay safe.
Kindest regards

Return to “Other Countries”