Compote spoon, maker?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverfan
contributor

Compote spoon, maker?

Post by silverfan »

This spoon has a very fine pattern. I didn't succeed in identifying the maker. I see 800 halfmoon crown and with much phantasy a cercle with point (but that could be part of the pattern). To the right I recognize the Austo-Hungarian import mark for 1891-1901. So that we can date the item into this period. Historism, beginning Jugendstil. Does anybody know the pattern and the maker?
Regards silverfan

Bahner
contributor

Re: Compote spoon, maker?

Post by Bahner »

Hello, looks like pattern 5000 by Franz Bahner. So this could be a badly punched lion's head. Regards, Bahner
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hello Bahner, just before i saw your post, I discovered in my collection ice spoons marked by Gebr. Sauerland with exactly the same pattern. Having read your hint I looked in my Bahner catalogue and indeed No. 5000 is the same. I suppose Sauerland copied the pattern (with or without authorisation) or vice versa!? Did you ever see a pattern taken over by Bahner?
Regards silverfan
Bahner
contributor

Post by Bahner »

Hello, to my knowledge F. Bahner never took over patterns from others (well, one exception: Pattern III designed by Henry van de Velde, first handmade by Koch and Bergfeld), but others (retailers, even makers) took over patterns from Bahner. Without having seen the spoons you mentioned I would guess that the pattern was originally Bahner's and was also sold by Sauerland. Regards, Bahner
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Here photos of Bahner pattern No. 5000 with mark of Gebr. Sauerland, Berlin (cercle with point).
Regards silverfan

Return to “German Silver”