Podstakannik - unknown maker's mark "АИ" early 20th C

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
VicM52

Podstakannik - unknown maker's mark "АИ" early 20th C

Post by VicM52 »

I recently inherited a Russian Podstannik. Based on my research so far, it looks like it has a "second generation" Kokoshnik mark from Moscow - see first image below. It's VERY small and very difficult to get a good photo of, but I have attached below the best image I could get. You can barely see the portrait, the "delta" for Moscow and the "84" for the quality. To the left of the image is the maker's mark "АИ" which I can't find anywhere. Can anyone identify this maker's mark? These two stamps are stamped between the top and bottom of the handle.

My other question to this forum is about the other set of marks I found. On the bottom inside edge of the piece are two other marks. Again, it's an "АИ" and then just a portrait. Can someone clarify if this is just a duplicate marking (not sure why they would do that) or if this portrait and letters mean something else. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hidden behind the handle:

On bottom, inside edge of item:

And here is an image of the entire podstakannik:

And finally in image of the front of the item. You can see some writing on the front. It's in a decorative Russian font so it's very difficult to read, especially for me, not knowing Russian so well.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Podstakannik - unknown maker's mark "АИ" early 20th C

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Most likely Adrian Ivanov in Moscow,founded 1893,known until 1917.PostnikovA-Loseva reference number 2179.
The inscription in front upper row ``на память дорогому доктору``
(as a keepsake to dear doctor)

Secondary marks to meet the legislation that every part has to be marked at the assay office before the whole object was produced,i.e. soldered together (handle,rim of the base in this particular case).
Try to post well lit close up of the inscription.
Nice example of Russian Art Nouveau (``Modern style`` in Russian).
Regards
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Hello AG2012 - Thank you very much for the information....very helpful and interesting. With regards to the close up photos of the text, it's difficult to get a good image since using too much light also gives a glare off of the silver. Below is my first attempt at getting better detail on the text. The first photo shows all the text, two lines. The next two photos are a bit more close up, but split the text to the left and right. Let me know if you need better quality or if this is legible for you and thanks again!

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I was about to say that AG2012 translation is only the first line when I saw the new pictures. The second line reads: от "маленькой пациентки" i.e "from a small patient". Due to the grammar it is a woman/girl. The last line is her name. It is a bit difficult but and that seems to be Тануш Шоклендер i.e "Tanusch (Tatjana) Schoklender but I'm not absolutely sure because it is not actually a Russian name. Does it ring any bells?
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

It looks as if a layperson has tried to partially skeletonize the pattern - recognizable by the unprofessional execution.
Some other objects from the same, wellknown maker:

Goldstein
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

See the unprofessional attempts:

Goldstein
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Hi Qrt.S - thanks for the valuable information / translation. As far as I know, there are no doctors in my family so maybe this is simply a silver item purchased at some point for either it's value or its looks. I am asking relatives now if they know the name on the item as well....

@Goldstein, thanks for the other examples of the makers work. The one I have is clearly a very simple work compared to the examples you show. You mention that you think someone tried to "skeletonize" that pattern. I'm not familiar with this term. Can you explain what you mean by "skeletonize"?

Thanks for all the help as always.
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Hi Goldstein - I was too fast with my last reply....I guess by "skeletonizing", you mean cutting away from the piece. You have a very good eye - I didn't notice all these imperfections. The cuts seem to match well with the engraving. Thank you again for the insights.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Skeletonizing is to cut out a printed (engraved) pattern.

Goldstein
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The technique is called PIERCING (cutting,piercing with jeweler saw).
First a hole is made, very fine jeweler saw is inserted and the design cut out.
The result depends how skilled the silversmith is.The item shown here is genuine,overall wavy art nouveau design in harmony with piercing and parcel gilt decor.
For the technique see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKtQ3mTFV8

Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@VicM52

Maybe there are no doctors in your family. According to the text the podstakannik is a gift from a grateful patient. How about the girl "Tanusch Schoklender? Does the surname sounds familiar? If not, it more or less verifies my theory of bought items for later sale.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

ШОКЛЕНДЕРъ (Shoklender) is Jewish family name.
Letter ъ (the "hard sign") in final position became obsolete (Simplification of the Orthography whose proposals of 11 May 1917 formed the basis of the new rules soon adopted by the Ministry of Popular Education).
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Correct, but the forename "Tanush" most likely a variation of Tatjana, but not a Russian one....Grusian/Georgian?
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

@Qrt.S and AG2012 - thanks for the further details and clarification. I will ask about the name - maybe it is a family friend. I know at least the last four generations we are all Orthodox Christian so it's not a family member - at least not a direct one. Maybe some of my relatives have more details. I will continue to investigate. Certainly, in this case, it could be that the item was simply purchased for it's value.

Return to “Russian Silver”