Nova Scotia Pseudos for "GB" or "GR" ??

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Nova Scotia Pseudos for "GB" or "GR" ??

Post by Traintime »

Suspicious Canadian of Uncertain Qualities..reads like a police alert, but I don't know where to add this. The handle is joined to the bowl. Seems to have a right facing head, possibly female. "N.S." rather than EPNS or E.P. marks. An additional mark that might resemble a thistle with cartouche turned on axis. Sifter, strainer, or other pierced bowl:

Traintime
contributor

Re: Nova Scotia Pseudos for "GB" or "GR" ??

Post by Traintime »

More bad photos..don't blame me, the shutter speed sucks:

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

More shots in daylight. We can see the handle is attached a bit off center, which would be consistent with potential flaws of hand worked items. The second pseudo (mark IV) is tricky...having that crown-over-ball shape of the center bud of a thistle but without the outer leaves found in real hallmarks. At the same time, it could just be a repetition of the first pseudo which seems to (poorly) copy the George III duty mark (the best comparison to my eye). Could this be old Novia Scotia work?

samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

There was a Gustave La Baume working in Halifax, NS in 1838 - listed as a jeweler/silversmith... no mark shown.

I wish there was a better - updated -- book on Canadian Silver other than Langdon's. Does anyone know of another one?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

May have to leave the NySilver question open on this one because of this description (photos loss) of marks: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3484&hilit=swedish+nickel+silver

At the same time it still seems to fit with some of the Nova Scotia knowns.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”